Mint usability test

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ETharris

Mint usability test

Post by ETharris »

Hello

I need some help writing a usability test for my tech writing course. I've decided to write it for Mint OS. The general idea of the assignment is to design tasks to be performed using Ubuntu, create an evaluation criteria, and then write a 'white paper' evaluation form.

I'm having difficulty identifying my audience. I would like to write my test for a user with less technical skills. For example, someones grandchild installs Mint on their computer and they are still using a landline not a cellphone (i.e. does not have a high level of technical skill). Would a user like in my example be exempt from the audience pool just because Mint is not designed for this type of user?

Any feedback on my question would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint usability test

Post by xenopeek »

This may be an interesting read; a report on open source software usability testing by Jim Hall (for Gnome 3.10 and 3.12): http://opensource-usability.blogspot.nl ... tware.html. On page 20 and 21 of the PDF you can see examples of usability tests the test group was asked to perform. You could take cues from that for the tests you want to put to your test group. The entire document is worth a read if you want to get into usability testing.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I think anybody can use any OS, given enough practice (or just some practice)
--the only thing one has to do is take small steps and do it step-by-step
  • That is have a task
    email for example
  • Then which program handles email
    .how to setup my account
    ..how to connect
  • Then some practice with the program chosen to find its operational methods
    --they all should be similar enough whether you use outlook, thunderbird or even straight into the public email programs, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft or some other you find..
As long as the task is clear
--and if some additional information has to be known ( should be provided); then few people will have any real difficulty using the computer and its programs..

If it is an evaluation of Operating Systems to determine a fit (fit to task), you can expect people will be more familiar with Microsoft and possibly Apple OSX, than Linux
--although they are all so similar in their desktop mode, that working across different OS's is not even that difficult
  • One can always find the files and programs to use.
    --by a little amount of searching/ mouse clicks..
ETharris

Post by ETharris »

xenopeek wrote:This may be an interesting read; a report on open source software usability testing by Jim Hall (for Gnome 3.10 and 3.12): http://opensource-usability.blogspot.nl ... tware.html.
This paper was very helpful! In fact, I shared it with my Professor who then sent it to the whole class.
jhall

Post by jhall »

Hi there! I'm Jim Hall, the author of that paper. I'm glad you liked it and found it useful! I'm always glad to talk about usability in free software. If you like, feel free to email me off-list at jhall AT freedos DOT org. Or post a comment on my blog, and I'll find you.

Return to “Open Chat”