Windows 10 is worse than 8

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jahid

Re: Windows 10 is worse than 8

Post by jahid »

/dev/urandom wrote:No, not at all.
That's your opinion...
I gave mine... :D
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Even at Microsoft they know 10 is bad: they are not given it away for free if they knew it was good.
It's simply a matter of how to keep people using Windows till they have something better than 10. They don't want to lose market share.
No, after XP no more for me. My wife has an originally Vista machine, changed by me to 7. She worked for quite a few years on it but next weekend we close all windows for the last time: she asked me to put Linux on her machine because of all the crap software she is running:
anti-virus, defragmentation, ccleaner, anti-adware.
It took her a long time but finally she has seen the light.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

DeMus wrote:Even at Microsoft they know 10 is bad: they are not given it away for free if they knew it was good.
Perhaps; but free (as in price) doesn't equal bad--look at Linux.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I prefer DuckDuckgo for all searches: used to use scroogle, and if the Duck fails at some point I will be searching for another more private search engine (whether or not it piggybacks onto Google or other(s))

I especially don't like safe web or live search or any of those kind of tie-ins to the particular vendors..

Basically if I use word arithmetic for searches, I don't need to depend on search engines to RANK the results: I certainly don't need any helpful -->this might be of interest drop down lists
--no matter which engine offers them (Google, Bing or others)
  • I would note that if I had a particular interest such as youtube videos, I don't even need any search engine, I can just go to the youtube site and RANK my choices therein..
Other than that I don't think Ms is so bad that I have to avoid their OS, should I need it for some reason
--I only don't particularly like the across all devices idea that they trying to develop for that OS, as well as the touch screen
  • Touchscreens only being really useful for TV weather forecasters
    --or small phone screens, where the thumb maneuvers works well for text typing: if not that no thanks, especially for larger desktop/home computer monitors or even TV displays..
I do, however, have an Ms XP Pro system running and am satisfied that this provides enough of an OS for my needs..
linuxeffect

Post by linuxeffect »

I believe in order to suit absolutely everyone, the key is customisation - something that was certainly lacking in 8.
I have used XP the most, since the early 00s, and for years. In my experience 7 and 8 are far more stable than XP or Vista, and I have not seen a BSOD with 7 or any further release at all. That does not mean no issues, but certainly no major hiccups. The shortcomings I feel in every release after XP has certainly been in the desktop environment. Since then, they have not made many improvements, and even 8 is just 7 with a couple of extra features, tweaks and an added app screen. There were a few features missing or changed in 8, but there were features missing in 7 that were available in previous implementations of windows as well, eg
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/wind ... 83951.aspx.

After a few tweaks however I have to say I now prefer 8.1 to 7. The earliest builds of 8 on my acer aspire did have freezing issues, but this came down to issues with compatibility (avast) and my hardware's intel graphics drivers, which have now all been updated and the problem now fixed. Just because certain extra features are included in any operating system shouldn't put you off, unless they are constantly running in the background or you are forced to use them. I feel the touchscreen feature may be implemented into every mainstream OS in the end, but that does not mean it will become the only way of control. In 8.1 I find the mouse scrollwheel much easier to browse the app screen and start screen than any touchscreen, as an example.

I do not use the app screen for much aside from the news, email and local weather, but from example videos, in my opinion windows 10 looks bloated with the idea of having these apps also featured on the desktop and startmenu. I prefer one seperate screen. I hope they learn and give as much ability to customise that menu as much as possible. Everyone knows that 8.0 auto booting to that start screen instead of the desktop confused many initially, arguably a bad move by microsoft leading to much bad press. After microsoft adding that start button once again, the reports of users removing it once more, proved that customisation is needed, but it would seem microsoft executives and likewise tend to want push the company to only do things a set way. I removed the start button re-implemented into 8.1 since it did not also feature a menu, and with all my much needed programs as shortcuts on the desktop and taskbar, I was happy. I am sure for professionals, reimplementing that startmenu fully may be a must for those that use a great number of programs. Of course they can do that already with third party software, but perhaps the media and general users will applaud 10 regardless, as I have noticed many seem to believe in a 'xp good, vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, 8.1..?.. ideal which seems to be all over the internet.

I agree, I prefer duckduckgo to just about every search engine, although for search for particular files such as images of a set size, I need to go back to google now and then.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

another Major Promo here:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... es-1029245

- these so called "reviews' will increase in number, as the RTM gets even closer,
the Guru's are pointing to a June RTM, which would be in time for the N.A. return to school.
- rather than the more traditional October RTM - in time for the December Christmas sales.

Most people around here - still thinks that win_10 is simply win_8 - with more spit N polish.
so :(

- as usual - the article gets lost on what win_9 - might have been.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

First, my feelings towards Windows 10. I tried the tech preview for about two weeks and can't say I was very impressed with it. As linuxeffect stated in his post, the return of the Windows 7 style Start Menu is appreciated, but including that large panel for the Windows 8 style "Tiles" looks to be more of an afterthought than a serious improvement. It's awful to look at, and in my opinion, just clicking a small tab to link to the Metro screen is all that's necessary. Adding to that several other issues, like not being able to install the software needed to use my fingerprint scanner and webcam, led me to lose interest very quickly and reinstall Windows 8.1 from a backup image.

Second, if you're a Windows 8/8.1 user and miss having a Windows 7 style Start Menu, try installing Classic Shell. I've found that if you take the time to configure it to your personal liking, it's a huge improvement over having the default Metro screen/Desktop/Apps screen setup. For anyone who's interested, here is the link: http://www.classicshell.net/

Please note: Version 4.2.0 is a beta version and meant for use with Windows 10 tech preview. Windows 8/8.1 users should install version 4.1.0 instead.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
linuxeffect

Post by linuxeffect »

I think the 8 app screen and tiles came down to nothing but an aquired taste. I have not tried the 10 beta yet, so I wonder if they have removed the app screen entirely? If so, then it sounds like microsoft have given in. They might as well sack their design teams and let the public take control :) Only joking of course, listening to customers with real ideas on improving a product can only be a good thing, but 8 was more of a case of 'I want it back to the way it was before'. The decision to (accidentally) confuse by automatically booting to a whole new screen in 8.0 was arguably the worst move by microsoft, despite wanting you to know it was a 'new' system in just about every way. The reality was that the desktop could still be accessed within one click. Apps aren't for everyone however, but the market is now large. It would seem gaming and gambling are where they succeed. Even some news based websites with heavy media content in my traditional browser have now been given that simplified tablet-esque look.

Perhaps the start screen and it's apps were more of an issue than the start menu removal. I see users on deviant art have been modding everything already when it comes to 8 and modded tiles and start screen backgrounds. I think Microsoft were aiming 8 at the home or family market with it's visual look overall. The simplistic tiled look mimicks a specific modern art movement, and some people absolutely won't care for it. In my opinion it would be good if 10 could make the colour scheme of 10 to be customisable at least, and have the option of more backgrounds, to make it more professional looking if you so desired, or to be able to simply choose a 'classic mode'.

Those that get upset usually shout the loudest or are the only ones to speak out, and the internet is now awash with trolls that put down anything related to 8. The media seemed to change their optimistic initial reviews of 8 quite rapidly. Wait until 10 arrives, and count up how many are in love with it due to the media hype that has been built up just before launch. No matter how bad or good it is. Perhaps MS should ask Sony for marketing tips. I have read some forums with experts in a so called field being unable to work out how to use 8 in a week. I gave an 8 laptop to a relation with little previous pc access, and they worked it out in far less than that. I eventually got used to clicking in the bottom left corner instead of clicking on a start 'button' with 8 to bring up my programs.
The media noted many users using programs such as the one you mention (classic shell, probably the simplest and best). As soon as Microsoft caved in and brought back a button that did not bring up a menu, with no customisation option, that did nothing but take up space on my taskbar, I installed 7+ taskbar tweaker to remove it once again. Surely proving that they must give users more control. The tool I used to remove the button in 8.1 also works on 7 as you can probably tell from it's name, simple with quite a few options http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Linux is certainly gaining far more of a mainstream audience now in terms of support. Microsoft most definitely has competition, but along with customisation, user friendliness will certainly be the biggest factor in winning absolutely everyone over. I still question whether big companies would ever want to move away from their ties of the other big corps and really start selling linux pc bundles, although after a google it would seem Dell have bundled and sold ubuntu with their pc's a couple of years back in stores.. in china
Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Exodus_life »

I haven't really cared for anything MS since they made ME extinct :( i really liked what i could with it !!

after looking at 8.1 on the wifes new laptop,,i finally made a commited decision to switch to something\anything that was not apple or ms

no regrets
mickeyk

Post by mickeyk »

I tried the Windows 10 beta for limited home use, and it's just what the name says it is: a beta. There are bugs and missing features, but that is to be expected at this stage. But just pretending that it's a retail release, the interface with its hybrid desktop and tablet inset look is uglier than Quasimodo.

I've been using mostly Linux for about four years, but I'm also comfortable with Win 7 and Win 8.1 (and didn't mind XP before that). What will stop me from running the retail release of Win 10 will be the insanely high price that will be attached to it. I'm happy to forgo gaming and Metro-dependent software such as Netflix Canada, NextIssue and Rogers Gamecentre Live if it means saving hundreds of dollars on operating system costs. Like many people, I need those hundreds of dollars for food and rent. That's a lesson giants such as Google have learned but Microsoft will never learn because of its organizational sclerosis and cultlike corporate culture. Which I guess brings us to Windows 10. :D
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

As somebody who has had it completely with Microsoft I just want to say that also MS knows 10 will not be a hit. Why else would they give it away for free? It is just that they want people to keep using their products, to keep the market share because once people start walking away it is very hard to get them back.
Some time ago I installed 10 in a virtual machine, looked at it after it was finally installed and deleted the virtual machine. It didn't live as long as it took to install it. I still saw these gigantically large tiles, yes, there was a Start menu again, but it was filled with these ugly tiles. Not to mention the color scheme they used. As if they came back high from the sixties. My god, is something wrong with your eyes?
No, I use Linux because I want to, because I can and because I like it because it is just the thing I want and need. No more Microsoft stuff for me.
peterldg

Post by peterldg »

Dual booting Cinnamon 17.1 and Windows 10 Tech Preview.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=191207

I'm impressed. I was able to get a full WIN10 virtual machine to operate off a USB- this hasn't been possible for all previous versions of Windows.

I think they are really trying to clean up their operations. Windows 10 can run on very minimal hardware. Just like Ubuntu attempting to go across devices- Windows 10 is previewing this same capability.

2 cents complete
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

peterldg wrote: Windows 10 can run on very minimal hardware.
True. Microsoft has announced that it will run even on a Rasberry Pi 2. Pretty darn good IMO.
I will definitely upgrade my Win 7 and Win 8.1 machines to 10 when it comes out.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

would be a bit careful about that statement:
they always say that their O/S will run on some minimum hardware. .
- but it is a dog :shock: it's *not* useful enough to use in the real world.

they say that win-10 will run on just 512Mb :o
- win -7 & win win-8 both need at least 1Gb to be useful enough to use.
this win-10 would need about the same.
& 2Gb will be more real world for win 7 / 8 / 10
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

z31fanatic wrote:True. Microsoft has announced that it will run even on a Rasberry Pi 2. Pretty darn good IMO.
The wallpaper has to stay black or white.
It takes 12 minutes and 36 seconds to launch Notepad. I was willing to try to launch the calculator but I had to reboot first to empty the RAM...
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

They copied our workspaces.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

To all the Windows users out there: can anybody explain why Microsoft went from 8 to 10? Is anything wrong with number 9, is that superstition, marketing or some other kind of nonsense? Or they just didn't notice? Or maybe they are using a base nine number system, so that 10 is not ten but one-zero and is equal to decimal 9? Just wondering.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

ganamant wrote:To all the Windows users out there: can anybody explain why Microsoft went from 8 to 10? Is anything wrong with number 9, is that superstition, marketing or some other kind of nonsense? Or they just didn't notice? Or maybe they are using a base nine number system, so that 10 is not ten but one-zero and is equal to decimal 9? Just wondering.
Apparently it may have something to do with some software developers having a history of using "coded instructions to check for 'Windows 9'," when checking for legacy support options.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690724/ ... -code.html
metalsnake

Post by metalsnake »

doob9911 wrote:You must see bing gossip trend on search box.
It cannot be turned off.
WOW. Windows 7 will be my last windows os.

I am gonna wait for 9 lol :lol:
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Can't pass up an opportunity for a M$ bash !!! :)

Only have reviews and feedback from some fellow nixers when it comes to win10. One person I trust said, it idles @ 1.3Gbs of RAM and even at idle still uses 10-15% of 1.9ghz dual-core processor !?!? After keeping his cpu(s) pegged out @ 100% for several mins after startup.

No thanks ... M$'s OSs just keep getting worse n worse and win8-8.1 will most likely be my last. Just finally learned how to tame the stupid thing. It was eating my hardware alive until tracking down and killing all the useless background maintenance tasks and all the unwanted services running ootb. That and getting rid of as many of the integrated spyware features built into it and a mil other tweaks to make the OS worth even using.

Win8 ... upgraded itself to win8.1, notified me there was an upgrade available via popups, never clicked yes ... upgrade to win8.1. It went ahead and did it in the background anyway and was nice enough to stash a 9gb+ backup directory on my hdd I had to track down and delete later.

Ootb ... win8-8.1 was doing the same thing as that fellow nixer described w win10. It was smashing my hardware for no noticeable benefit. Actually had a 500gb hdd burnout after less than 9mnths use. Luckily the system was still under warranty, so HP had to replace the drive for free. Still am concluding the nutjob way M$'s OS's are setup ootb played a serious role in killing a brandnew hard drive in such a short period of time.

Would also blast the cpu(s), a 2.0ghz quad-core, just like other nixer was describing w win10. After much tweaking now my cpu(s) and disk i/o stay to 0% majority of the time where they belong. Rather than burning out my hardware prematurely and I don't think it's an accident either. Someone else in the thread said nothing drives their software like new hardware. Nothing drives their sales and oem sales like burning out people's system(s) years sooner than they should.

So just my experience on it, someone definitely has to tweak pretty much ANY M$ OS, definitely win8-8.1 and have zero doubt that applies to win10 too. All the junk I had to tweak, disable etc etc to get win8-8.1 to be worth using is longer than my fricken arm ! Gotta say from feedback I've gotten and from reading reviews about it, I want no part of win10.

WORSE THAN WIN8 !?!?!? WHY GAWDS ... WHYYYYY ???!?! :/

Return to “Open Chat”