How To Update WindowsXP Until 2019

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mach50

Post by mach50 »

however i dont use windows xp , but it works perfect.
How To Update WindowsXP Until 2019 and my daily operating system exposed!

Paste this text below to make your reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001
howto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOs0X4PcgA

:idea:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How To Update WindowsXP Until 2019

Post by var »

You can probably expect MS to close this pretty soon. But why would someone want to still be using XP? That's like somebody demanding that DOS is still upgraded :lol:

Consumers need to know when to move on (to Linux) ;)
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

That only allows you to keep running updates ...
Does not a thing for the fact that some of those updates keep trying to reinstall themselves (and failing of course).
The best way to fix Microsoft Update service is to disable it.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's actually a hack that sets up the O/S to act like a PoS Terminal.

- M$ has acknowledged that it does work - but does discourage the Registry Hack.
there will still be security issues as XP is no longer supported by M$.

- most PoS Terminals don't connect to the 'net anyway, but rather to their local network.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

Let Windows XP rest in peace. This is not good to awake dead.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

Shunjoss wrote:Let Windows XP rest in peace. This is not good to awake dead.
XP is far from dead (much to the chagrin of Microsoft).
Especially when you are talking about XP Embedded which is what the POS stuff is likely running.
In fact I know of multi-million dollar systems that use the XP OS for the primary user interface.

Of course those system, like most Embedded systems, are NOT connected to the internet.
They also usually have updates turned off.
The provided software was tested and confirmed to work on the OS as provided.
Neither the operators or OEMs want these systems crashing because of some flakey untested MS update.

Also MSDN subscribers can install any OS Microsoft has ever produced back to early versions of MS-DOS.
(Well a they could one year ago ... I no longer have the same MSDN access).

XP will live on like ghosts from Christmas past.
Windows ME on the other hand started out of the gate on bad legs and is no longer heard from.
I suspect Vista will suffer the same fate in a few years.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

lewtwo wrote:
Shunjoss wrote:...is no longer heard from.
I suspect Vista will suffer the same fate in a few years.
Likely so. But a real shame, IMHO, as for my purposes, Vista is the best of the currently supported MS systems.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

I have pretty much settled on Windows 7 as my last MS OS. I do have a copy of 8 laying around somewhere but I absolutely hate the default UI (feel pretty much the same about Ubuntu-Unity).

I think that MS is moving toward implementing a software lease/subscription model. They already do that with many of their corporate customers. There are too many consumers (from their view point) that do not run out to purchase new hardware and software when they release a new OS.

I can imagine them sticking a function in the a future OS such that it stops working on such and such date. Then if they can come up with a method of insuring that the OS can only be loaded on new hardware it will be a win-win for MS and the major hardware vendors.
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

lewtwo wrote:
Shunjoss wrote:Let Windows XP rest in peace. This is not good to awake dead.
XP is far from dead (much to the chagrin of Microsoft).
Especially when you are talking about XP Embedded which ...I suspect Vista will suffer the same fate in a few years.
Anyway, for private user it is. Except for china who cracked/hacked lots of XP licence and continue to use it as it is said.
Vista did not have a good fate, by being not so popular against seven or xp by the way like "8".

Security is difficult to handle now there is a lot of threats even us are vulnerable with linux, if evil intention did not exist we will be safe : it's not the case.
HerrDierk

Post by HerrDierk »

Security is difficult to handle now there is a lot of threats even us are vulnerable with linux, if evil intention did not exist we will be safe : it's not the case.
Now this is an honest answer :wink:

I agree
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Microsoft doesn't recommend POS updates
--I don't know if they would bother doing anything about it as there is no support for XP, except for those POS systems, and they will have the customer list

They might just to cut down call traffic..
--other than that there is no real issue for them.

I have only one reason for needing windows XP
--I may need it activated in order to keep some windows applications in use
  • I suppose I could say that if the application hasn't expired and it was on an XP system, I should be able to run it, without the great hassle that using XP without getting an MS upgrade to a later WinOS xx
--but that is a forlorn hope, if I need WinOS xx for anything, I'd probably have to bite the bullet and pay for an upgrade
  • But, if my winXP is activated
    --I can use it for the next 10 eamachine..
Cardenio

Post by Cardenio »

I've tried that work around, and either MS has patched it so it won't work on non-POS machines or I somehow screwed it up.

After doing it Microsoft Update returned an error, so I uninstalled it. Then I tried Windows Update and it returned an error as well.
dkstanson

Post by dkstanson »

It's hard to say what will be in next 5 years. If you have any chance to play with Windows 7 or 8, then you will know how much better they are :mrgreen: Just let XP rest in peach.
Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 »

var wrote:You can probably expect MS to close this pretty soon. But why would someone want to still be using XP? That's like somebody demanding that DOS is still upgraded :lol:

Consumers need to know when to move on (to Linux) ;)
I have midi editing software that will only work with XP, so I have dual boot and just unplug my internet cable whenever I use it.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

DrHu wrote:--but that is a forlorn hope, if I need WinOS xx for anything, I'd probably have to bite the bullet and pay for an upgrade
  • But, if my winXP is activated
    --I can use it for the next 10 eamachine..
Considering that MS updates sometimes (too frequently) break more things than they fix, turning off MS Updates may enable you to run it indefinitely.

Return to “Open Chat”