do i need my own space satellite, 2 be my own ISP?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Try'n 2 Learn

do i need my own space satellite, 2 be my own ISP?

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

i can't do it all from my home computer right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: do i need my own space satellite, 2 be my own ISP?

Post by richyrich »

Couple of thoughts . . (ISP = Internet Service Provider)
1) You would have to buy a block of dedicated IP addresses from InterNIC. (for your servers and to lease out to your clients)(cost?)
2) You would have to have a dedicated DNS Server. (to locate/connect your clients to/from the world)
3) You would need your servers to be located on a backbone Internet connection. (cost?)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

No, you don't need your own space satellite. Where I live, the local Public Utility District (PUD) has installed fiber to most of the homes and businesses in the area. But because of the way they are licensed, they can't provide service to retail customers. So you have to buy your internet connection from one of the local "providers" who buy service from the PUD and retail it to homes and businesses. You might see if that sort of thing exists in your area, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

If you want to set up a new web service i would start by trying to create a OpenNIC server for DNS.

Setting up an actual gateway is probably a legal nightmare!! Maybe use your neighbors wifi (with there permission of coarse) or a vpn... :lol:
Try'n 2 Learn

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

no a VPN is a 180 degree reversal. the idea would be an actual free & complete access to the entire internet from a hardware stand point vs a software work-around that is ultimately routed through some other admin's box anyway. i guess it really does not matter, as i cannot afford a satellite anyway. just trying to grasp how closed the internet really is...
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Yeah, i think the internet is made to be very large and powerful, not easy to connect too, not private, not secure, just big! Big enough so all the worlds computers can work together over it.

You could always make your own isolated network, host your own content and sites and services over it... but it's pretty lonely being on a network just by yourself.
Try'n 2 Learn

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

i like that approach... if you build it, they will come. all i need to do is put a transmitter in space, hand-out some receiver dishes for peoples' backyard & and party-on, right?
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Seems kind of fruitless.. until skynet wakes up and your network becomes the backbone of the resistance.. :lol:
Try'n 2 Learn

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

that was not a horrible movie, a little war, little comedy, and the actress had the girl next door thing happening. you might like "men who stare@ goats". the course of your day should be a little humorous, a tad cynical, and may i suggest a 2nd, double pina-colada. then it would be a good watch. hollywood is a weird one for me.

Return to “Open Chat”