Beta test Windows 7

Chat about just about anything else

Re: Beta test Windows 7

Postby marc.a.bishop on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm

I agree with the taskbar comment on how you can pin the icons, that is very convenient. Along with mousing over them, and seeing which windows you want to open from the same program, that's great too. As long as it isn't a "memory sucker", this one should be a good upgrade for the windows operating system. Just hope it doesn't cost a lot since it doesn't seem like vista came out that long ago!
marc.a.bishop
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby lakehousetech on Sun May 10, 2009 10:01 am

They'll probably stick to the same pricing structure that they did with Vista. Someone will probably release a cracked version with a volume license key or validation workaround. I've been using XP Black Edition for my gaming needs for the last couple years. Just recently the Windows Genuine Advantage thing installed itself and the OS wouldn't validate (obviously). I booted into Mint and deleted the WGA executable and dll. Booted back into Windows and disabled automatic installation. When it tries to get you to install WGA again, you just un-check it and you still get all security updates. Easy workaround! I don't have any games that really shine with DX10, so I'm going to continue to use XP as long as possible for COD4 and MOH.
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby VinylBassist on Mon May 11, 2009 2:11 am

EKMA wrote:I think my personal favorite with 7 is gonna be the 4 inch taskbar at the bottom.... :D ....do you have to use your scroll bar when you open up Notepad?....lol...man that thing is big....I'm beginning to feel a little envious with my 1/2 inch taskbar.................................. :lol:

there compensating for something...
VinylBassist
Level 2
Level 2

Postby knuckles on Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm actually use the version 7127, and must BADLY say, that this Windows-Version is very great. On Actual Hardware faster than XP, nicer than Vista. A lot of Candy-Stuff that make the GUI not only nicer but too more useful.

A lot of things that I hate on Windows and love in Linux (like packages to install software...) will never change in windows because of the complete Windows-Base.
But I think that the time (windows9x) where you have re-installed Windows every week, are gone, and with some tools and a little know-how you can too make a Windows-Install-DVD that install everything you need at the same time as Windows.

Conclusion, because I'm very interested on Linux, I will have every-time a eye on it, and test every Mint-Version, if there is an application for some tasks that work better on Linux I will use Linux (like video converting, or Gimp....), but for my Main-System I'm going back to Windows [7].
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rhY on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 am

I've been testing the final RTM Windows 7.

It is slower than XP. It is faster than Vista, but so is walking from San Diego to New York. It is also much slower than Mint Gloria. Further, it is not nearly as attractive as Compiz in any way, nor as functional. In addition:

Windows 7 lacks :
An Office Program.
An FPS.
Firefox (The industry standard).
Video Codecs.
VLC.
A decent CD burning app.
More than one desktop.

Mainly, it is just too slow. It is slower than XP and slower than Mint..... I'm not using it!
[url]roguerebelmusic.com[/url]
rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Pierre on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:34 am

Windows 7 lacks :
An Office Program.

You gotta buy one -- throw some $$$ at M$ :(

Windows 7 lacks :

Naturally. :D

It is slower than XP. It is faster than Vista

I finally got to see one <in the flesh>, only a few days back.
the owner of the 64bit system, showed the processes running tab :shock: N :(
Nearly 900Mb - just running itself & IE8 :(

& that supposed to be faster N meaner ??.
than what ????
:lol:
Pierre
Level 6
Level 6

Postby proxima_centauri on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 am

Pierre wrote:
Windows 7 lacks :
An Office Program.

You gotta buy one -- throw some $$$ at M$ :(
Windows 7 lacks :

I don't really see those as arguements, maybe they weren't. OpenOffice runs on Windows too... Not all Linux distributions bundle an office editor and Firefox either. Plus if one really wanted to they could create a slipstreamed Windows install disc which included both of the above.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby waldo on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 pm

rhY wrote:I've been testing the final RTM Windows 7.

It is slower than XP. It is faster than Vista, but so is walking from San Diego to New York. It is also much slower than Mint Gloria.
<snip>
Mainly, it is just too slow. It is slower than XP and slower than Mint..... I'm not using it!

I find it is faster than XP, but it does require more ram to get there. 3GB ram makes Win7 run very well. It appears that Win7 is able to make use of the ram, while XP seems to quit improving much after about 1.5GB. Run both on 1GB, and XP will be faster.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Egorama on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 am

I finally got to see one <in the flesh>, only a few days back.
the owner of the 64bit system, showed the processes running tab :shock: N :(
Nearly 900Mb - just running itself & IE8 :(

& that supposed to be faster N meaner ??.
than what ????
:lol:

I think the problem Microsoft have is the same as all commercial software, because they sell the product itself they have to keep adding perceivable benefits, this inevitably leads to bloat. Fortunately Linux only sells services so is pretty immune to this problem. This is one of the biggest selling points of Linux for me.
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
Egorama
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Open chat