On Windows how to run the checksum? [solved]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pjnoxon

On Windows how to run the checksum? [solved]

Post by pjnoxon »

Hi, I thought I saw instructions on how to calculate the MD5 on Windows, but I can't find it.
I know I did it before, a long time ago. What's the instructions, I downloaded Mint already.

yours - pj
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: On Windows how to run the checksum?

Post by Reorx »

Google "MD5SUM for Windows"!... Pick your favorite... The first 2 hits on my search were this and this.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

The very best MD5 checksums program for Windows that I know of is wxChecksums. I used it for many years on Windows and it was a very impressive piece of software. It should run on any version of Windows up to and including Windows 7 (beyond that I don't know as I never used Win8.x or Win10).

If you are using Windows up to and including Windows XP then you could also install wxChecksums Shell Extension. This will allow you to easily create checksums in Windows via wxChecksums using right-click context menu selections in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the shell extension does not work in Windows 7.

wxChecksums is also available for Mandrake Linux. Unfortunately it won't install to a Mint system - great pity it is one of the Windows programs that I miss quite a lot. Maybe someone with more knowledge of Mint than I have could get it to install - I don't know.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Radish wrote:wxChecksums is also available for Mandrake Linux. Unfortunately it won't install to a Mint system - great pity it is one of the Windows programs that I miss quite a lot. Maybe someone with more knowledge of Mint than I have could get it to install - I don't know.
Why would you want to??? md5sum is a basic utility and it is built into LM - both command line and if you right click an ISO in your file manager, you'll find it in the pop up dialogue box...

I'm curious - what makes the Windows version a "very impressive piece of software"??? It's a rather basic utility and it does 1 thing...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: On Windows how to run the checksum? [solved]

Post by Cosmo. »

I am far more impressed by the nemo plugin nemo-gtkhash.
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

I agree it only covers some basic functionality. However, it does it very well, the GUI is very well thought out. Also if using the shell extension it was very easy to create a checksums file that would recursively check all folders/sub-folders and files within a parent directory. Once the checksums file was created you only had to double-click it and wxChecksums would check all the files in the checksums for matches with the physical files on the HDD. Point-and-click computing at its best. Love it. :)

You would really need to give it a short trial in a Windows virtual machine to see how good it was at what it did.
Last edited by Radish on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Radish wrote:I agree it only covers some basic functionality. However, it does it very well, the GUI is very well thought out. Also if using the shell extension it was very easy to create a checksums file that would recursively check all folders/sub-folders and folders within a parent directory. Once the checksums file was created you only had to double-click it and wxChecksums would check all the files in the checksums for matches with the physical files on the HDD. Point-and-click computing at its best. Love it. :)

You would really need to give it a short trial in a Windows virtual machine to see how good it was at what it did.
Fair enough! Thanx for the details... :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

Return to “Open Chat”