What mods are and aren't

Chat about just about anything else

What mods are and aren't

Postby bigbearomaha on Wed May 09, 2007 11:46 am

I have seen some recent postings here and in a few other forums I frequent. A lot of attention goes to how mods "mod" and what role they paly in a free and volunteer forum.

Mind you, this is all my own opinion and perspective as an admin and a mod and a member of a few different forums.

First off is what "role" the mod plays. It is very much up to the admins and creators of the forum. In some, especially distro oriented forums, they are expected to act as volunteer official representatives. In other forums, a more relaxed point is given to mods. To perform a few rudimentary tasks, some clean up and general monitoring.

Neither approach is "wrong" or "right". It is functioning as the forum creators and admins set it up to do.

Here in this forum, it appears that the mods are kind of in the second grouping, lending a hand, keeping the place tidy and easy to follow, but not really expected to act as a representative of the distro. That's cool, it helps keep things up and gives folks another way to participate.

At one point in time, I myself assumed a "representative" role of the mods here in Mint, but after a couple of what I thought were friendly conversations, I understood the setup and I have no difficulty in working with the system as it is.

People from all over have different personalities and interact with folks differently. Sometimes there is a "clash of personalities" that is to be expected in a grouping of a few hundred people.

I think overall, if the members here come in understanding that the modding here is of the laid back, tidy up type, their expectations of what the mods can and should do will follow.

If in addition to helping out with the forum, Husse and scorp want to help people with their Minty problems, that is an extra bonus, Much appreciated guys.

I don't want to give the the wrong impression here, this is just a suggestion I have found to work in a couple of forums I work in.

If I set up Mod user groups and set out pretty clearly for all to read in the description of the mod group what their role is, it helps members in their expectations and how to interact with the mods.

for those who take the time to investigate the forum it helps immensely, for those "hit and run" members who are just here for the quick piece of info and don't "study up" on the forum, it never gets to them until their is an altercation sometimes.

I think everyone helping both in the forums and in the distro itself is doing a great job and I heartily encourage you to keep up the good work.

Big Bear
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby tommyj12 on Wed May 09, 2007 12:24 pm

Suck up :D

Tommy
tommyj12
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bigbearomaha on Wed May 09, 2007 12:46 pm

:P
Maybe, but I'm thinking of another place where even the opportunity to suck up would get me banned.

:roll:
Big Bear
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tommyj12 on Wed May 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Sad but true my friend....

Tommy :cry:
tommyj12
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open chat