GNOME OR KDE MINT?

Chat about just about anything else

Postby sourwire on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:15 pm

I love the fact that Linux has so much to offer in the area of how things work and look. I'm a pretty new Linux user, so I know only the basics and it's really amazing how easy most things are. For example installing Xfce.
The reason I love xfce is speed I guess, there is also some nice window manager tweaks that make windows transparent, etc. I wouldn't say that my computer is way too outdated, and I kind of feel bad for xfce when people call it "desktop environment for lower-end machines". After all, the slogan of the project is "...and everything goes faster!", not "...it works like GNOME for old computers!".
I could run GNOME or KDE perfectly on my machine.
I wouldn't call Xfce a complete desktop environment yet since it doesn't even include an image viewer or a zipping utility, but I think that's going to change pretty soon and xfce will be able to compete on GNOME and KDE level.
sourwire

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Toontwnca on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:27 am

I downloaded and installed KDE 3 version tonight.
Playing around with it now.
So far I like it. The main thing that I didn't like about KDE distros
in the past was that I found the main menu hard to navigate, so
that made it difficult for me to use. Tasty menu is much easier.
So far no real problems navigating.
For the time being I'll stick with it.
It doesn't matter if a glass is half empty or half full.
There is clearly room for more wine.

Notebook: Asus K53U 1.6 gz, 4gb ram, 500 gb hd, AMD 6310 Radeon
Toontwnca
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LostOverThere on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 am

Yeah, its quite surprising how much names actually mean.

This is another place Mint has to be more careful. Not using to "slutty" names.
Personally, I would much rather the button that launches the menu to say "Mint". But, Cassandra isn't that much of a bad name.
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Toontwnca on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 pm

LostOverThere wrote:Yeah, its quite surprising how much names actually mean.

Personally, I would much rather the button that launches the menu to say "Mint". But, Cassandra isn't that much of a bad name.

You can rename it to whatever you want.
It doesn't matter if a glass is half empty or half full.
There is clearly room for more wine.

Notebook: Asus K53U 1.6 gz, 4gb ram, 500 gb hd, AMD 6310 Radeon
Toontwnca
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LostOverThere on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:04 am

Toontwnca wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:Yeah, its quite surprising how much names actually mean.

You can rename it to whatever you want.

In that case forget everything I just said.
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby shane on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:01 pm

XFCE!!!

why? Zoom Zoom Zoom... then one day you do :lol:

ie. its faaaassttt!
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sonicbhoc on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:13 pm

KDE is my favorite. GNOME, I find, is too limiting and simple. And I HATE gconf. A lot.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:19 pm

I have Mint with Gnome and, after having stopped using it, I have also another distrib in dual boot with KDE. More I use KDE more I like it! :roll: :lol:
Btw Qt is better than Gtk+... :wink: And Gnome got contaminated with Mono :twisted:

Some things written here are extremely debatable…:roll: :wink:

Xfce? Not for me, thanks. It is not even able to have transparent icon labels... Having opaque labels reminds me of Win95! And it is became slower, e.g the slower speed of Xfce 4.4 versus 4.2.3.2 or "compare 4.3.99.2 to 4.2.3.2 on a modest platform (Celeron/850, 256 MB RAM), and you will notice the difference: 4.2.3.2 feels as fast as WindowMaker, for instance, where 4.3.99.2 feels more like GNOME!" (http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=3k&article=2051)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby shane on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:02 am

linuxviolin wrote:I have Mint with Gnome and, after having stopped using it, I have also another distrib in dual boot with KDE. More I use KDE more I like it! :roll: :lol:
Btw Qt is better than Gtk+... :wink: And Gnome got contaminated with Mono :twisted:

Some things written here are extremely debatable…:roll: :wink:

Xfce? Not for me, thanks. It is not even able to have transparent icon labels... Having opaque labels reminds me of Win95! And it is became slower, e.g the slower speed of Xfce 4.4 versus 4.2.3.2 or "compare 4.3.99.2 to 4.2.3.2 on a modest platform (Celeron/850, 256 MB RAM), and you will notice the difference: 4.2.3.2 feels as fast as WindowMaker, for instance, where 4.3.99.2 feels more like GNOME!" (http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=3k&article=2051)

i'd have to disagree with some of what you said... i began my Linux experience with Mandrake 10.0 and KDE and onto Mandriva 2006 with KDE... on my 256MB laptop things used to run really slow... when Dapper came out I switched to Ubuntu and GNOME... my computer worked slightly faster but the more stuff i kept piling on it the slower it ran... it is probably my fault for not keeping the services in check... I went thru the Dapper>Edgy and Edgy>Feisty upgrades (not reinstalls) and things broke and got even slower...

Finally, when Mint XFCE Beta came I decided to hose my laptop and I dont think I'll ever go back! boot times are something like half of what it used to be with Ubuntu, applications launch much much faster. and about the desktop icons... I like a clean desktop only with conky on it so I dont even notice the opaque icons... XFCE edition looks just as sweet... the only thing it is probably missing is a Mintified menu but this is only the first release... so I hope it is in the pipelines...

As for the speed of previous versions of XFCE... i dont know because I have only just started using XFCE. what I can tell you is that XFCE is definitely faster than GNOME in my experience.

here are some screenshots of my XFCE desktop. keep in mind: no beryl or compiz here... i only have a SiS graphic card with shared system memory... and check out the RAM usage at startup... 34% of (256-32)MB RAM... you do the math ;)

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mint1na8.png

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mint2uo2.png

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mint3ul9.png

p.s. no violins were meant to be hurt in the writing of this post... :lol:
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby linuxviolin on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:22 pm

shane, I said just that certain things disturb me in Xfce but I did not say that it is bad. There are several good things, Thunar for example is a very promising file manager. :)

But it is not also light and fast than previously and the opaque icons... :cry: Xfce 4.4 is much heavier on resources than 4.2. It is not anymore a "slim" alternative.
No really, for the moment, not for me. Of course that is only my personal and maybe subjective opinion.

shane wrote:keep in mind: no beryl or compiz here

Great! Very good! :wink:

shane wrote:p.s. no violins were meant to be hurt in the writing of this post... Laughing

hahaha...:lol: thanks
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby blogger on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Hello everybody,

What can you say about CELENA now. I think that this basically Gnome distribution is tops! Steady as a rock and as fast as any Linux can be. :)

Greetings,
Blogger
SEVERELY ADDICTED TO MINT / CASSANDRA SYNDROME
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Postby npap on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Well,
Lots of goodies from Linux Mint lately. Daryna KDE has made me reconsider my preferences.
It looks so good and behaves so well. And yet, I love Daryna Gnome. :)

I'm confused again my friends.
Cheers
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kenetics on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:36 pm

So Blogger likes Gnome and Npap has a preference for KDE. I can see why there is some confusion here!
Variety is the spice of life, as they say. And two heads are better than one. :lol:

Personally, I prefer Mint Gnome because its so easy to use, but I occasionally switch to Mint KDE. Either one is very usable.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby npap on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Hello Ken,
It's a split personality problem. :)
I agree that Gnome is much easier to work with. I don't know if you tried Daryna KDE yet. It's really fast.
The desktop loads in a few seconds. The overall looks and performance rate high in MHO.

I had to reconfigure the xserver-xorg manually though. Had some problem with the system reverting to the low 640x480 setting.
This has been a problem with Ubuntu/Kubuntu for a long time.

Cheers
Blogger (Oops!)
I mean Npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby npap on Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 am

Sorry guys but I had to ditch the KDE beta version. Too many problems have been inherited from Kubuntu. :( It's mostly the screen resolution configuration problems, which is the reason that made me switch to Mint in the first place.
Mint KDE is great, but it needs quite a bit of work yet.
I just installed Daryna Final. It's a charm for newbies like me. :)

Cheers,
Npap.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: GNOME OR KDE MINT?

Postby npap on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:09 am

Hello fellow Minties,
So far so good. The pros and cons of both KDE and Gnome Mint have been expressed here. But now there is some talk of a Debian based version. :)
Really, what could be different here from the Ubuntu based version?

Just to get a taste of a Debian based distribution, I downloaded Mepis 7.0. Believe me, I could not see any drastic changes except for the fact that Synaptic shows all packages in the Debian repository.
No problem with that IMHO. :)

So what do you fellows think?
Cheers

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

E17 ENLIGHTENMENT DESKTOP

Postby npap on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:35 am

Hola amigos!
We've now got another desktop! :D Mint E17 Enlightenment is soon to come out.
I have been checking a couple of E17 distributions and I can only say that they look impressive.
Daryna E17 Beta is coming out soon; it's good news and I think it will be worth trying it out.

Cheers,
npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: E17 ENLIGHTENMENT DESKTOP

Postby molom on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 am

npap wrote:Hola amigos!
We've now got another desktop! :D Mint E17 Enlightenment is soon to come out.
I have been checking a couple of E17 distributions and I can only say that they look impressive.
Daryna E17 Beta is coming out soon; it's good news and I think it will be worth trying it out.

Cheers,
npap

To tell the truth, I haven't seen any impressive E17 distro. That is why I joined to help out the the Mint E17 project.
What I'm aiming to have in the Mint E17 project is a distro that is the most polished, stable and 'out of box' experience E17 distro that will ever be released.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby deki999 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 am

somehow on all distros Samba works ‚‚out of the box‚‚.
untill now I prefered Gnome, but I am thinking...a lot...
deki999
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yamawho on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:36 pm

I had always used Kde in the past with Mepis 6.5 and 1st used gnome trying out Ubuntu last year ... didn't think much of it. However my impression for gnome changed after trying MInt 4. Although I had only run the livecd to test a system, I kept thinking about it afterwards and decided to install it while waiting for Mepis 7 to become final. There is something about the look and feel of this distro that I really like.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Open chat