GNOME OR KDE MINT?

Chat about just about anything else

Re: GNOME OR KDE MINT?

Postby GoustiFruit on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:54 am

Well, I used to like KDE more: I've been using PCLinuxOS for years :roll:
KDE is a lot more configurable, as a simple example it is very easy to change the background image automatically on a regular basis. With Gnome you have to write some script or install an additional program (which I did: wallpaper-tray)...

But I must say that the way it is done in Mint makes Gnome very attractive... There are maybe more little things to setup to have the desktop work exactly the way you want, but once it is done, the system is really pleasant to use. And Gnome is quite a bit lighter and faster than KDE, I must admit: when I switched my parent's laptop from PCLinuxOS to Mint, my mother even asked me what I did to the mouse because it went so much faster (in fact, applications were scrolling smoother) :mrgreen:

So for now I'm sticking with Gnome (and Mint !), patiently waiting for a final KDE4... which may require 2-3 years alas :|
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Rob Brill on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

GoustiFruit wrote:Well, I used to like KDE more: I've been using PCLinuxOS for years :roll:
KDE is a lot more configurable, as a simple example it is very easy to change the background image automatically on a regular basis. With Gnome you have to write some script or install an additional program (which I did: wallpaper-tray)...

But I must say that the way it is done in Mint makes Gnome very attractive... There are maybe more little things to setup to have the desktop work exactly the way you want, but once it is done, the system is really pleasant to use. And Gnome is quite a bit lighter and faster than KDE, I must admit: when I switched my parent's laptop from PCLinuxOS to Mint, my mother even asked me what I did to the mouse because it went so much faster (in fact, applications were scrolling smoother) :mrgreen:

So for now I'm sticking with Gnome (and Mint !), patiently waiting for a final KDE4... which may require 2-3 years alas :|

Hi

I make my option for the 2 - kde and gnome. I prefer Kde 'cause is a lot more configurable but i admit i am
running Mint 4,0 Daryna (portuguese Brasil language) and i got astonished how Mint Gnome is quite very
good. Gnome for me only on Debian/Gnu Linux or Mint. Ahead: if Mint Kde 4.0 comes based on Kubuntu
i am afraid it will be a heavy desktop weight ( pentium 4 - 2,40 ghz - 512mg ram) my micro hardware

Guys anyone else out there could explain how Mint is better than Ubuntu? Ubuntu 7.10 is a desktop
heavy-weight for me. Kubuntu lets de Kde intolerable. Mint not! Mint is well balanced on everytning
when we talk about gnome desktop environment

I used to be sincere and most programs for Gnome don't have the same good quality comparing
them with the Kde programs. I know i can install them on Mint 4,0 (not all of course)

Man, i hope Mint soon will have a whole repository programs of its own. I knew other distros based on
Ubuntu (lot of them now) and Mint 4.0 only justifies and still good than Ubuntu

Mint Gnome version - Mint Kde Version, my personal choice

Best Wishes
Rob :)
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby KStorm on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Mint looks better under GNOME. It just fits.
KStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:44 pm

GoustiFruit wrote:Gnome is quite a bit lighter and faster than KDE, I must admit: when I switched my parent's laptop from PCLinuxOS to Mint, my mother even asked me what I did to the mouse because it went so much faster (in fact, applications were scrolling smoother)

Gnome "lighter and faster than KDE"? Maybe but on my PC it is rather the reverse... :roll:
I have Cassandra Gnome and another distro with KDE in dual boot and even without MintMenu, Mono apps (Beagle, Tomboy...) and with the same configuration (swappiness=0 and vfs_cache_pressure=50) the system more often uses the swap with Gnome than with KDE (rare under KDE)...

Ubuntu heavier than others? :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Previous

Return to Open chat