Looking Into Online Learning...

Chat about just about anything else

Looking Into Online Learning...

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:31 pm

I already graduated from a four-year theology school and am set to get to work part-time in a Christian school and help in the ministries of my local church. Also, [blah-blah-blah you're tired of hearing this] the economy is really slow and I am unemployed until the next school year, and then only for the mornings. I was told about an online/correspondence school called Penn-Foster who had a course in PC Maintenance and Repair that I should take. I talked to an advisor and she said the course was $1,134 and I could pay as much as $19 down and $42/mo for 23 months w/ 0% APR. She also said that I coud set the pace between five months to a whole year to finish. I did my research on the school and they are pretty good and all the people I sought advice from told me to go for it but beware of the dangers of being self-paced (yeah, you gotta be diligent). I enjoy working with computers and putting new life into old ones w/ Linux for fun, but what should I consider if i am to study online?

Here's the course web site:
http://www.pennfoster.com/pcrepair/index.html
Life's too short to keep things in their "out-of-the-box" condition....
Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Looking Into Online Learning...

Postby lagagnon on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I am a computer technician myself so maybe I can help you out, or at least offer you my suggestions and comments. I honestly think you might be wasting $1134. The certification many computer repair shops require is the A+ Certification ( http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx ). You don't need a year of on line study to get that certification - I assume if you've already done 4 years of higher education that you know how to read and how to think logically (although theology school is probably not very good for learning to think logically :wink: ).

You should easily be able to get the A+ certification by purchasing a $50 A+ certification study guide at any computer bookstore, getting through the book and repairing a few PC's while you do it. I would go get a few old PC's from your local recycler or local Free Geek Society or whatever, and work on them. That is really the only way to learn to repair and diagnose faults - the book won't actually help you that much in fact, and an online course even less so (in fact I bet if you googled thoroughly you would even find free online computer tech courses).

You might even consider volunteering for somethink like Free Geek (http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/) (if there is such a thing in your home town) - there you would really learn how to fix computers for free. Then write your A+ Exam - details at first link above.

Just my $.02 worth...
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:53 pm

I was also looking into studying for certification to be a Pharmacy Technician, which takes a minimum of nine months and is $898 for the full course. I have an aquantance in Long Beach who really impressed me and my sister w/ how he does so well financially as a pharmacy technician and that he's only 19 years old. That may be something I want to pursue, if only to the end of financial stability. Is it understandable to want to become a financially responsible young adult in an uncertain economic climate? I want to be an independent man then have the means to start a family and possibly get an M. div. Maybe I should hunker down w/ my part-time teaching job (which I enjoy) w/ the $650/mo paycheck. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to at least have a job set for me already, but after the fact God takes care of His children it comes down to how one has to make ends meet. I need to have some means, you know....
Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lagagnon on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Gunmetal_Ghoul wrote:but after the fact God takes care of His children it comes down to how one has to make ends meet.

The latter part of your sentence is reality, the former part is fantasy or delusion, IMHO.

You did not really respond to any of my suggestions so it appears that you might not really know what you want at this juncture in time....am I correct?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:56 pm

You may be right there, but a decision has to be made. Whatever one's persuasion is about the hereafter, there is a here and now with money being a necessity to live in this world. I have been trying to figure out what should be done as a practical concern that should get evryone's attention, despite economic problems/religious beliefs. Since you may be right about being indecisive, I shall continue until my mind is made up.
Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Gunmetal_Ghoul,

If you were my son, I would tell you to forget making a living in computer repair. It makes a great hobby and you can make a few bucks with it on the side when you have the time to do it.

Anything in the Medical field is going to be more and more lucrative as time goes by. This is based on the demographics in the US. We are getting older. The demand for health care can only increase. This can't be changed, regardless of government edicts.

In the options you gave, pharmacy tech would probably be your best bet. If you are single with no responsibilities, you might consider some type of medical technician. All the fancy medical equipment has to be operated by trained people. Or if you have the personality for it, maybe even an RN. Community colleges usually have all kinds of courses of varying lengths that would be much cheaper and would better prepare you.

Just one old man's opinion. :-)

EDIT: quote
but after the fact God takes care of His children it comes down to how one has to make ends meet.

You are the divinity expert here but that doesn't mean you get a free ride. The good Lord gave you free will, intellect, and the talents to provide for your needs. How much more help do you expect. :-)

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby lagagnon on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:11 pm

Fred wrote:... I would tell you to forget making a living in computer repair. It makes a great hobby and you can make a few bucks with it on the side when you have the time to do it.

I agree wholeheartedly Fred. I do computer repair as volunteer work (I am in fact a retired petroleum geologist) but I would not want to do it for a living. The pay is not great and who wants to spend 75% of their time removing crap from MS Windows boxes anyways! ;-)
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:05 pm

My uncle agreed w/ your advice that you don't really need to take an online course to get CompTIA A+ certification, but where could I go/what books should I read to help prepare to take the exam? Also, after looking up the requirements for certification as a Pharmacy Technician for my state I began to lose confidence in taking an online course to prepare for that exam as well and would need some actual campus credentials. All this talk of certifications and requirments is running me through the loop right now, truly it's simpler to meet the requirements to serve God as a pastor w/ just a B.A. in Theology and meeting some rigorous Scriptural requirements. My family has advised me to see if I could help out at the Christian school part time and then go ahead and prepare to possibly join the IT force. It may be just family/financial pressures talking, but I'm young and fairly sharp w/ plenty of time in my hands. I really want something to offer and be a useful asset, and, as said something like this before, 'heavenly minded and earthly good' or whatever it's exactly quoted....
Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lagagnon on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Gunmetal_Ghoul wrote:...but where could I go/what books should I read to help prepare to take the exam?

As I said above any computer bookstore should have a number of A+ Study Guides available. Look here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... de&x=0&y=0
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby DrHu on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Gunmetal_Ghoul wrote:I already graduated from a four-year theology school and am set to get to work part-time in a Christian school and help in the ministries of my local church. Also, [blah-blah-blah you're tired of hearing this] the economy is really slow and I am unemployed until the next school year, and then only for the mornings.
In your case I would be tempted to try and combine my education with some specific technologies,
--there are some software packages for Christian organizations, and they also have the need for general purpose software as a business/office organization (like everybody does..)

So, my suggestion
Try and work with or for an organization that wants/needs to manage their office and software purchases for the congregations support; many things comes to mind here
  • CRM , there are commercial or oss(open source )applications available
    --customer/client resource/relationship management
  • Designing their website
  • Consult on installation & support of their specific software applications
  • Manage their office/IT services
  • etc etc..
For IT type certificates, there are quite a few on-line or download-able practice or information sites..
http://www.download3k.com/Press-ProProf ... ation.html
--one place that might offer an opportunity for tech (computer) practice is either a computer shop, that does their own repairs or a bigger warehouse type of operation, like Dell/HP , Best Buy etc..

If it's specific to an industry service area, then you are best using their materials..
http://www.nationaltechexam.org/home.html
--you are also probably best to look at national standards instead of restricting yourself to individual states, a sort of combo certificate (state + national), however that combination might work..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat