[SOLVED] Calling all Comp Sci graduates: Advice needed!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
delro

[SOLVED] Calling all Comp Sci graduates: Advice needed!

Post by delro »

Hey folks, I'm a high school graduate starting college in November. I'm taking Computer Science as my major and currently studying for the LPI (Linux Professional Institute) 101-level exam. We had a semester each of QBasic and MS-DOS BASIC in Grade School and a trimester of MS Visual Basic in high school (yeah I know, my HS loves MS, even our Macs run Vista, FFS :lol: ). I've basically forgotten these languages since I haven't had the opportunity to utilize them (I exclusively did tech support in my HS days aside from digital media creation, so no app-making experience there.)

I'm starting school a semester late so I'd like to have an edge, hopefully with help from Linux vets like you people. :D

What I want to ask you guys and gals is, what programming language should I learn? I'd also like to know what your experiences were with your freshman year in Comp Sci. What languages/computer theory did your school teach?

Preferably, I want a language with an environment that is friendly with Linux (unlike my HS, the university I'm going to is fervently pushing Linux and F/OSS), isn't on the verge of obsolescence or obscurity and, of course, are free. It'll be cool too to mention the applications and resources needed.

A thank you very much in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Calling all Computer Science graduates: Advice needed!

Post by lagagnon »

Well I studied Comp. Sci many years ago so at that time they were teaching APL as a starter language and then Fortran. Depending on what Uni you go to they tend to start you now in Java, Python and/or C. If I were you I would start with Python - it is easy to learn and use and very relevant to Linux. It is already installed in Mint. Just install the "idle" simple IDE (which is available in the repository), get yourself a Learning Python book (O'Reilly) and go for it. After you learn Python learn C. It is more difficult. Then Java will come easy to you....IMHO....
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Most current CS programs are starting with Java for a similar (but opposite) reason of what lagagnon just posted. After learning Java, which is not difficult to learn for a beginner, a lower level language like C is easier to wrap your head around. Similarly, languages like Python or Ruby come quite easily once one is proficient in Java. I would definitely recommend starting with Python or Java though, either of them will help you gain a footing in programming.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

delro wrote:I'm starting school a semester late so I'd like to have an edge, hopefully with help from Linux vets like you people
Specific to getting an edge on the competition, I would suggest C++
--which will fit in well with java

I also would echo the other comments about Python, Ruby as good scripting (dynamic) languages to learn
--one might also start paying attention to the normal Linux scripting of the bash shell.

And finally, it might depend on the particular course and its direction
--there are some schools that emphasize FOSS
http://press.redhat.com/2008/09/08/nc-s ... urriculum/
http://research.csc.ncsu.edu/cose/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FOSS_Educa ... _with_FOSS
--the stats for languages are probably a bit out of date..
delro

Post by delro »

Thanks for all the fantastic replies!

I got an O'Reilly: Learning Python, Third Edition (it's the copy without the plastic cover. The bookstore even has this part where you can read the books before buying) from a clearance sale. It looks like a well put together book and Python looks like a very nifty language. Will post updates when things unravel!
delro

Post by delro »

Found out from a CS Freshie that it's C they're learning... except that their prof is wacko and, by whim, switches between C and Java.

Oh well, I got another book, this time it's about Game Development on Python. Here's hoping I go past theory and get some proper experience. I've two months left before school starts.
emorrp1

Re: [SOLVED] Calling all Comp Sci graduates: Advice needed!

Post by emorrp1 »

Well If your uni is teaching C, then definitely learn C. I recommend python for personal projects. Our course started us on scheme for our first programming language, followed by Java (was ada for previous years). This year we're moving on to C

Return to “Open Chat”