Dell bringing back XP

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Dell bringing back XP

Post by kenetics »

Amid significant customer demand, the computer maker said on Thursday that it has returned to offering the older Windows version as an option on some of its consumer PCs.

Like most computer makers, Dell switched nearly entirely to Vista-based systems following Microsoft's mainstream launch of the operating system in January. However, the company said its customers have been asking for XP as part of its IdeaStorm project, which asks customers to help the company come up with product ideas.

"We heard you loud and clear on bringing the Windows XP option back to our Dell consumer PC offerings," Dell said on its Ideas in Action page. Users get to vote on various suggestions, and the notion of bringing back XP got 10,000 "points," making it among the most popular requests but well below top picks such as adding Linux or OpenOffice.org to its PCs.
http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP ... 77619.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Dell bringing back XP

Post by merlwiz79 »

kenetics wrote:
Amid significant customer demand, the computer maker said on Thursday that it has returned to offering the older Windows version as an option on some of its consumer PCs.

Like most computer makers, Dell switched nearly entirely to Vista-based systems following Microsoft's mainstream launch of the operating system in January. However, the company said its customers have been asking for XP as part of its IdeaStorm project, which asks customers to help the company come up with product ideas.

"We heard you loud and clear on bringing the Windows XP option back to our Dell consumer PC offerings," Dell said on its Ideas in Action page. Users get to vote on various suggestions, and the notion of bringing back XP got 10,000 "points," making it among the most popular requests but well below top picks such as adding Linux or OpenOffice.org to its PCs.
http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP ... 77619.html
Forget XP buy Linux instead.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segt ... l=en&s=dhs
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

I'm not sure how many people will go for the pre built linux machine thing, since most people I know who are using linux prefer to "roll their own", if you will, however, it is an encouraging move towards desktop acceptability of linux, although I will avoid any claims about this year being the year of the linux desktop, since it seems to me like it's an attempt to bring linux to the poulare people, only because dell don't risk losing any money, co's if they don't sell the linux boxes, they can slap a copy of xp/vista onto the hard drive and sell them off.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

civint wrote:I'm not sure how many people will go for the pre built linux machine thing, since most people I know who are using linux prefer to "roll their own", if you will, however, it is an encouraging move towards desktop acceptability of linux, although I will avoid any claims about this year being the year of the linux desktop, since it seems to me like it's an attempt to bring linux to the poulare people, only because dell don't risk losing any money, co's if they don't sell the linux boxes, they can slap a copy of xp/vista onto the hard drive and sell them off.
Though I Build my own PC my next one will come from Dell.
Why? Because I want to support Linux and tell the other manufactures that their is away to sell Linux machines.
This also will help kick start more software and driver support for Linux if it works for Dell.
If more distros had CNR it could make it easier for big software companies to sell their products to people using Linux.
I see this as a step needed to bring Linux to more people. 8)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

About CNR: I am not against the inclusion of CNR within Mint, but although Linspire announced deploying efforts to make it work with Ubuntu they showed no sign that they would do the same for smaller distros. Also, I don't like the fact that users have to pay to use the CNR service. These are two of the reasons why I wanted to develop mintInstall. Which one will become more popular for us in the long run, who knows? At least if CNR doesn't give us exactly what we need we'll have an alternative.

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:About CNR: I am not against the inclusion of CNR within Mint, but although Linspire announced deploying efforts to make it work with Ubuntu they showed no sign that they would do the same for smaller distros. Also, I don't like the fact that users have to pay to use the CNR service. These are two of the reasons why I wanted to develop mintInstall. Which one will become more popular for us in the long run, who knows? At least if CNR doesn't give us exactly what we need we'll have an alternative.

Clem
I thought it would be nice to have both.
I don't use CNR but like the idea for others to use if needed.
In fact I like mintInstall better because it's like the pcbsd .pbi.
Also mintInstall keeps the original sources.lst, which is alot better than CNR, since every thing gets installed though CNR on Linspire.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

A pbi contains the software though doesn't it ? That makes pbi big files to download?

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:A pbi contains the software though doesn't it ? That makes pbi big files to download?

Clem
Yes, but it's already compiled that's why.
If it wasn't compiled it would take longer to install.

Return to “Open Chat”