I'm Back with Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

I'm Back with Mint

Post by JohnH »

Interested folks,

I had my laptops stolen about 3 weeks ago. Both were running Mint. I've finally got another laptop (thanks to insurance). It is essentially the same as one of the others; a HP Pavillion DV2000 series; a littler more specked that the last one. This has 120g hard drive and a better NVIDIA card. It also comes with Vista Home on it!

I must say I am amazed at how much MS has pinched from Linux. I can understand why XP users are finding Vista a challenge as the "logic" and visuals remind me very much of modern Linux distros.

I was a little nervous about loading Cassandra as I had read of boot disasters when Vista and Linux were set up together. I set up my partitions first using Gparted first, then did the install. I just felt more in control doing that way.

These dv2000s often have problems getting the sound to run. On the one that got stolen I would run the latest rc driver from ALSA and that did a good job of getting the sound working. The Live CD had the sound going in a fashion but since the install it is no longer working ....ah well.

Anyway in short, I'm back on board with Cassy.

Regards
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Sorry to hear about the stolen laptops, but welcome back. You said:
I must say I am amazed at how much MS has pinched from Linux. I can understand why XP users are finding Vista a challenge as the "logic" and visuals remind me very much of modern Linux distros.
I'd bet M$ now has patents for what they pinched, and now claim ownership and patent violation. There's a name for that medical condition, but it escapes me right now.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

JohnH Quote:

"These dv2000s often have problems getting the sound to run. On the one that got stolen I would run the latest rc driver from ALSA and that did a good job of getting the sound working. The Live CD had the sound going in a fashion but since the install it is no longer working ....ah well."

Hello JohnH,
Sorry about your stolen laptop.
As for sound problems, did you know that the new kernel (2.6.20-16) may be the cause of your sound problem? Try booting into the older kernel: 2.6.20-15.
Cheers,
Blogger
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

As for sound problems, did you know that the new kernel (2.6.20-16) may be the cause of your sound problem? Try booting into the older kernel: 2.6.20-15.
Yes I gather that has been an issue. I found some advice on the matter on the UBUNTU forums. HP dv2000 series has been having problems with the sound for a while and I've manged to get by through downloading the ALSA rc drivers to get good results. I have a How To link for this. I thought the new kernel may have the latest included.

Anyway, sound is up and running now.

Regards
John
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

I have a dv2000 too (dv 2108ea ... a European model). No problems whatsoever. I just had to enable the "PCM2" channel in the volume control (the sound was a bit too faint otherwise), but that's it. Everything "just works". Exception: That stupid web cam ... but that's OK, I never used it anyway :D
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Scorp,

I've got the sound going okay by upgrading the latest ASLA driver and associated patch.

I got the web cam working on the last HP, so that it could run in Ekiga (?). There is a Mint How To that points to the place I found the info. Having said that though, I can't get the web cam to work in Vista for that matter; it worked okay on the dv2000 laptop running XP.

Regards
John

Return to “Open Chat”