The pre-Alpha of Lucid

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fluxx

The pre-Alpha of Lucid

Post by Fluxx »

The other day in the Crunchbang forums someone said they were already testing the pre-Alpha of Lucid Lynx Ubuntu.

I said, 'Yeah, I tried that, too. It's called Karmic.'

Phil is thinking of switching to Debian testing as the base for the next Crunchbang. Unhappiness with Canonical is everywhere, my friends.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: The pre-Alpha of Lucid

Post by exploder »

Phil is thinking of switching to Debian testing as the base for the next Crunchbang. Unhappiness with Canonical is everywhere, my friends.
Yes, more and more bugs and regressions are turning up.
Fluxx

Post by Fluxx »

Thus far, Mint 8 which is based on Karmic, seems to be working just fine. Congratulations to the team!!!

Of course, while Canonical is really turning its attention toward Lucid in an unprecedentedly quick fashion, I am optimistic that there are people who are bug-fixing Karmic even as we speak.

Meanwhile, #! doesn't seem to have committed to Ubuntu or Debian as base. The team is much smaller, after all.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Bugs are getting fixed in Karmic. There is a general rule of thumb that it is best to wait a couple of months after a Ubuntu release to have all of the bug fixes. Lucid is taking a more conservative approach. As I understand, much of it will come from Debian testing rather than unstable this time. There will be fewer alpha releases and two betas according to the release schedule. Ubuntu has had a lot of bad press from Kermic and they are wanting to enter the enterprise, so they have to release something decent this time. Shuttleworth said himself that 10.04 will not suck, so we will see.

Using a Debian base is easier said than done. You need an installer, a custom built kernel and then deciding what to use from the stable branch and testing. Some things have to come from testing, otherwise the applications would be way out of date. Putting all this together, keeping it compatible with current hardware, keeping it stable and providing necessary package upgrades is a pretty overwhelming task. Once established, things would settle down and such a system would be worthwhile though.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The Canonical Devs know that Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04) will be the next LTS (long-term support) for the Ubuntu line of distros.
Therefore, it has to be more 'stable' from the start, than Karmic ever was.

A lot is riding on Lucid being 'stable' :mrgreen: and taking Linux OS' to the next step of evolution.

Which, also, means that LinuxMint-9 will be the next LTS for Mint. (or is the next LTS - LinuxMint-10 ?) :roll:

:cry: Talk about pressure?

Return to “Open Chat”