Introduction

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Minja

Introduction

Post by Minja »

Hi everyone,

My name is Minja. I got into computers a little more than a year ago. I was obsessed with the hardware & have built about 6 systems (not counting rebuilding) during this span. However, my passion has become software & I am currently taking a C++ class at my community college. My goal is to become a Java programmer (which I study during my free time) because I love the syntax & freedom from memory management. However, I recently started tinkering with operating systems other than Windows & my experience with Ubuntu & Kubuntu was a mess due to my lack of willingness to learn how to properly use them. I jumped right back to Windows 7 & assumed I was happy. However, I had been meaning to try Linux Mint as it had been sitting on my desk for weeks. So, after waking up today to find out someone had attempted to charge my credit card for $550 worth of eBay gift cards despite my precautions (AVG Anti-virus, Zone Alarm firewall, & Malwarebytes anti-spyware), I decided to make the jump to Linux Mint 8. I took the time to read the user guide PDF file & have gained the confidence to tinker with settings. First thing I did was install the Java Development Kit (JDK) which was a breeze, something I didn't expect. Currently, I've set up Wine (yeah, have to use it for some things) to have the ability to use Steam (NBA 2K10 is an addiction).

To go back to Linux Mint 8, I just want to say it's a godsend & visually more appealing than anything I've ever seen. From my experience so far, I'd give it a 10/10. The instructions (read: manual) are very clear & easy to understand, even for the Windows brain washed like myself. Installing software is pretty simple & the only thing I have to get used to is accessing the equivalents of "C:\", which is something I'm sure I'll get used to soon enough. The Linux commands I'm OK with because I've used PuTTy in the past.

Sorry about the long & boring history, but I feel that it helps explain what I'm trying to convey. I'll be sure to view these forums on a daily basis & hopefully one day become a contributor to these forums.

Once I get my 4th computer up & running, I'll be sure to install Linux Mint on it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Introduction

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to Linux, Linuxmint and the Mint Forum!!

Glad your experiences with LinuxMint have been good.

Remember to 'read everything' ... 'ask questions' ... but most of all. Enjoy yourself. :mrgreen:
Minja

Re: Introduction

Post by Minja »

Thanks for the kind words, vrkalak. I've been tinkering with the settings for the past couple hours, trying to set everything up the way I want to. Very fun so far!

Return to “Open Chat”