What is your favourate Linux magazines?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tower

What is your favourate Linux magazines?

Post by tower »

What Linux magazines do you read? And Why?

We are lucky in the UK we have 4 Linux magazines on the shelves of large WH Smiths (a larger newsagent chain)

Each magazine has something that makes it a good read

Linux Format - a good cover disk usually features 2 or more distros. Supports smaller distros and non linux alternitive OS
Always a good range of features, the ability to provide easy to follow walkthroughs of thing I would otherwise have found difficult

Linux Magazine - only 1 distro on the cover disk and tends to feature the big 4 (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora )
Again well written articles, seems to be aimed more at aspiring sys admins as a lot of the content seems to be about servers and security. It has an excellent website with 5 years of accessible archives,

Ubuntu user - If you are new to Linux and into Ubuntu this is the no1 magazine!
'buntu on the coverdisk well written articals that will take you from beginner to competent user

Linux User - 3 distros on the coverdisk make this good value. Good content, but more technical than the other magazines

But that is just my opinion! What's your read?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: What is your favourate Linux magazines?

Post by Husse »

I live in Sweden so I read a Swedish magazine which of course is not well known outside the Nordic countries
It's called Datormagazine and has a fairly large Linux section but is not dedicated to Linux - to my knowledge there is none here
The other computer magazines are either a bit too much geared at the larger company IT department or to simple
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

My dad subscribes to Linux format and passes them down to me. :D

Great mag though by the time I get them they are over 6 months dated. My dad has this fear of burning ISOs so he likes the cover discs. I do not, I would rather just DL and burn a fresh ISO.
tower

Post by tower »

I read a great review of Mint in the datormagazin
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... D2&prev=_t
(thanks to Google translate)!
The magazine translates well and is a great read
Linux is increasingly featuring in traditional PC magazines!
Husse

Post by Husse »

tower that's the one I read - I even contribute in it on a small scale
tower

Post by tower »

FedoraRefugee, does your dad know that Linux Format often has some interesting distros in ISO format on the coverdisk?
Of course you could offer to burn them for him (and get your hands on the magazine earlier)! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Most of the magazines I see on the shelves around here are geared more toward the large IT department or are full of outdated material....
tower

Post by tower »

Hi, exploder try clicking the magazine covers in this link
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2009
many of the articles can be downloaded in PDF format

You can also download a complete first issue of Ubuntu User from the same publisher
http://ubuntu-user.com/Magazine/Archive ... line-Issue
Husse

Post by Husse »

exploder wrote:Most of the magazines I see on the shelves around here are geared more toward the large IT department or are full of outdated material....
or "baby talk" - interesting that our experience is so similar
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

tower wrote:FedoraRefugee, does your dad know that Linux Format often has some interesting distros in ISO format on the coverdisk?
Of course you could offer to burn them for him (and get your hands on the magazine earlier)! :D
Yep. He is a distro-hooper! He manages to burn them, he just doesnt like to download them for some reason (he has comcast cable same as me). I periodically DL and burn him a new distro. In fact he is the one who introduced me to Linux over 10 years ago now. He was late sixties at the time. :lol:

I think that is why he buys the mag. I like their technicality level myself, as Exploder and Husse are saying Linux Format seems like it is neither too basic or too technical. I have learned a lot from reading that magazine.

I was also subscribing to the online Tux magazine before they stopped. I pick up one of the other odd Linux magazines from time to time but I spend most of my time online in forums. The knowledge is current and distro specific and it is interesting to see the different perspectives, takes, and personalities in Linux. Interesting point, you would think this forum would be very basic with high turnover and very little "real" knowledge. In fact there are some very knowledgeable people here and most are not just Mint fanboys but are open to other distros. I greatly respect that, unlike the Ubuntu forums which seems mostly a circus to me, though there are some good folks in there too.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

FedoraRefugee, I agree with you about the forum. There are a lot of different discussions about different distributions and technology here. Most of us seem to be open to new ideas and different ways of doing things. It is real nice to be able to have a discussion about a distribution without having to put on a flame retardant suit. :D There are some very good projects out there.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Actually, I've never even picked up a Linux magazine. :(
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I've bought Linux Format and Linux MagazinePro.
Sitting in Barnes & Nobles, I'll occasionally peruse Linux Journal, Linuxuser & Developer, and Linux+DVD.

Linux Journal seems to be aimed at the IT and server crowd.
tower

Post by tower »

Is Linux+ the one published 4 times a year?
Given that the popular distros have a 6 months release cycle it must mean pot luck is your favourite distro gets featured!
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

tower wrote:Is Linux+ the one published 4 times a year?
Probably is. In another topic, someone said it was published twice a year.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

As a Linux user I get immense pleasure from reading plain old PC World. The chuckles I get reading about why I must protect my PC from malware infections by downloading and installing their special of the month continue with each successive issue.

So many times I thought how much easier their lives would be if they could simply use their machines instead of constantly having to jump through hoops trying to protect them.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm

Return to “Open Chat”