Hacking a Sprint Mogul?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Hacking a Sprint Mogul?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

So I bought a used Sprint mogul for pretty cheap....I have not decided if I want to stick with this older generation and slightly quirky smart phone or if I want to go with a mid range multimedia phone like an LG Lotus elite or Samsung Reclaim. Those multi-media phones are not smartphones really....just messaging phones with a web browser. How well do those things work? Like could I log into this website with one of those and ask a question?

So I may sell the Mogul with the adapter and expanded battery pack for $100...but I would like to give it a chance. The Mogul has wifi and the others dont.....but on the other hand the mogul lacks applications and I have trouble logging into websites and using messenger with wifi. Those cheats decided to remove certain features and then sell them back to you at a premium....think lindos selling programs from synaptic or the software center for $5 a piece.

Anyway....Any tips for hacking this phone? I would be really interested in learning how to install my own free and open source apps to chat online with messener, ways to make voip or whatever its called phone calls with wifi only, ways to get cracked versions of the software that SHOULD have been in my phone for free.....grrrrrrr...I have no ethical qualms about that....tips for tethering without the phone recognizing it as tethering...preferably on Mint instead of windows....and any other tips for hacking this smart phone.

What would be beyond awesome is if there was a way to run an alternate operating system on this phone. It crrently runs windows mobile 6.1.....I dont care if it handles the phone for connecting to the Sprint network as long as it utilizes the wifi and the microprocessor and the ram and the rom and the video card. I would only need it to give me the option of a dual boot in case i do actually need to use the sprint network, but I would like the option to boot an alternative OS from the memory card to let the phone run as a pentium-1 era computer.

400 mhrz processor, 64mg ram, 256 rom, 12gb card.

Is Ubuntu mobile working? Anything?

I have a ton of questions here, but the more you could address the more kudos you will get.

I may use this as a PDA only. I still would want an alternative OS that can use the wifi when I am out though.....bring that to the cafe instead of my laptop.

Would you use this as your phone + 3g device, or would you sacrifice the OS and hackability for a more user friendly multimedia phone like a LG Lotus or Samsung Reclaim?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nick_Djinn

Re: Hacking a Sprint Mogul?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Alternately, for some one who cant drop several bills on a better phone, would you choose the Reclaim or the Lotus Elite as far as functionality?

Any useful hacks for this Java based OS?
Nick_Djinn

Re: Hacking a Sprint Mogul?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I am fine tunning the mogul and its a great phone, windows aside. I like it because i am getting all the features of a true smart phone without having to upgrade my plan. It just barely missed the cutoff point age wise...they stopped carrying it just as they brought in the new policy for smart phones, so I get to have a smart phone while paying for the regular data plan of a multi-media phone.

I highly recommend it. With skyfire web browser I am now getting the finger scrolling or whatever you call it, that I wasnt getting with the default browser.....

Screw paying for proprietary apps. There are tons of free apps that do the same job only better.

Is there a way to allocate some of the SD card to virtual memory?

Return to “Open Chat”