Ubuntu 10.04 = Vista ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Ubuntu 10.04 = Vista ?

Post by gman »

Ubuntu 10.04 and derivatives (such as Mint 9) based on it have been disappointing. I thought about moving back to MInt 8 but want some of the features of Gnome 2.30. So far I've moved two laptops to PCLinuxOS, both which did not run Ubuntu 10.04/Mint 9 properly. I'm in the process of moving another for testing. If all goes well with that my wife's laptop will move to PCLInuxOS. Any others feel that Ubuntu took one step forward two back with 10.04
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jlr1701

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 = Vista ?

Post by jlr1701 »

Yep. Quality at Ubuntu is going downhill fast. I was unable to run Karmic because of a major, show-stopping nVidia video driver bug (which generated a lot of action on the Ubuntu forums at the time), and unfortunately the same bug is still present in Lucid. The developers KNOW it's there and that it is causing many people serious problems, but they still have failed to address it. NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL!!! :shock: To say that my opinion of Ubuntu has soured would be putting it mildly...

PCLinuxOS looks like a nice distro, but I prefer Mint. It looks great, runs great, and meets my needs. :)
distrohopper

Post by distrohopper »

PCLOS is a pretty nice distro. The only thing I didn't like about it was that they have an independent repository thats apt/RPM based. If a particular package needs to be updated, you need to request it to be built. Then there's loose user-based voting system which determines if the package will actually be updated and built.

Building software from source is a little troublesome too. After using mostly debian based Linux, I found it difficult to find dependencies in the repositories. Another problem was that a lot of packages needed to build newer software was often behind by a few versions.

Although it was a pretty good experience and works well out-of-the-box, it's a little more troublesome if you want anything special.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Yep...
Choose a distro, choose a repository.
-Hinto
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

I agree, my optical drive isn't working right in both 10.04 and Linux Mint 9 which I find unacceptable. I have filed a bug report for ubuntu (they still haven't taken care of it).
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

distrohopper wrote:PCLOS is a pretty nice distro. The only thing I didn't like about it was that they have an independent repository thats apt/RPM based. If a particular package needs to be updated, you need to request it to be built. Then there's loose user-based voting system which determines if the package will actually be updated and built.

Building software from source is a little troublesome too. After using mostly debian based Linux, I found it difficult to find dependencies in the repositories. Another problem was that a lot of packages needed to build newer software was often behind by a few versions.

Although it was a pretty good experience and works well out-of-the-box, it's a little more troublesome if you want anything special.
Personally, I've never had to build or request a package for PCLinuxOS, they have everything I need in the repository. PCLinuxOS doesn't appear to be much different from other distros as far as packages being up to date, some they keep updated some they don't. I would guess that for the average user PCLinuxOS has everything in the repositories as up to date as needed.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Yes,
But for me, they didn't have 64 bit and they didn't have rsh.
rsh was the big one since our AIX and HPUX login servers were not configured for ssh (and X-forwarding).
They told me (in a nutshell) that I was an idiot for wanting either one of them. Of course that was about 4 years ago. I think things have changed a bit.
-Hinto
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

The same thing was said about 9.10. Now everybody loves it. When Maverick is out people will be "going back to 10.04 because 10.10 is a fail."
larryp7639

Post by larryp7639 »

keljaden wrote:I agree, my optical drive isn't working right in both 10.04 and Linux Mint 9 which I find unacceptable. I have filed a bug report for ubuntu (they still haven't taken care of it).
me too :D
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

randomizer wrote:The same thing was said about 9.10. Now everybody loves it. When Maverick is out people will be "going back to 10.04 because 10.10 is a fail."
This.

This happens during every Ubuntu release, and every time the predecessor is hailed as the Ubuntu Orgasmic Jesus of Linux.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I don't know what happened with Ubuntu 10.04/Mint 9, but I also have the optical drive problem where DVD's aren't being read.

Ubuntu 9.04/Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.10 don't have that problem.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

gman wrote:Ubuntu 10.04 and derivatives (such as Mint 9) based on it have been disappointing. I thought about moving back to MInt 8 but want some of the features of Gnome 2.30. So far I've moved two laptops to PCLinuxOS, both which did not run Ubuntu 10.04/Mint 9 properly. I'm in the process of moving another for testing. If all goes well with that my wife's laptop will move to PCLInuxOS. Any others feel that Ubuntu took one step forward two back with 10.04
I'm using Mint 9 without a problem. It's working so flawlessly that I dropped using openSUSE 11.2.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

JonM33 wrote:I'm using Mint 9 without a problem. It's working so flawlessly that I dropped using openSUSE 11.2.
Now that there is a workaround for the optical drive problem I am running Isadora exclusively.
nono

Post by nono »

I did not have any problems using Mint 9.

Also I like it better because it boots faster than Mint 8.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

using Mint9 LXDE, and it absolutely rocks - fastest and most stable thing I ever tried.

Also don't forget, that it's not Ubuntu who's writing Intel or Nvidia drivers, but the hardware manufacturers, so if your graphics card is not working properly, it's usually not Ubuntu's fault but that of your hardware manufacturer, who is too cheap to provide a professional quality Linux driver, but throws some half-baked crap at "the commutity" to fix it, with the result that it's usually either outdated or buggy.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook (Intel graphics) and my brother's laptop (Nvidia)

No problems so far on my netbook.

My brother's laptop had some issues with KMS. Ubuntu booted into a weird resolution with a bunch of horizontal lines across the screen. Booting with 'nomodeset' then installing the proprietary Nvidia driver fixed that. There also seems to be a lot of disk thrashing going on, and the usual fixes (changing the apm level, writeback mode) aren't working.

Still, my brother says he likes it better than Windows 7.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

9.04 was my introduction to desktop Linux a year ago. There were a few minor incompatibilities with my Acer D150 netbook, but mostly everything worked pretty well. I upgraded to 9.10 (and thus retained legacy grub). Initial experimental installation of 10.04 was a disaster, due to grub2 issues. Once I solved the grub2 issues, 10.04 was the least problematic of the three version I have direct experience with. Absolutely everything worked "out of the box" and the faster boot/shutdown speeds are greatly appreciated. Same experience with Isadora, which my first exposure to Mint.

So, I started out as a 10.04 doubter, but am now a solid supporter. Use whatever version/distro works for you.
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

I am not a big fan of Ubuntu's constant "innovation". I feel like they change for the sake of change (without fixing issues). The notification area is a decent idea, but it is buggy for many users (icons don't load properly, two usernames appear, shutdown button missing) and the only way to correct it is by rebooting. There was NO reason in the LTS version to change the button position. O.K., Mr. Shutttleworth has plans for his windicators, but why not make the changes when the windicators are ready? Netbook Remix interface is being done away with, Universal Menu, Unity interface, etc., etc. I just see the whole thing becoming a mess for software developers. Maybe I am wrong... I am anxiously awaiting the Debian Mint Release. When I have installed Debian, I have been impressed at how snappy and simple it is. Sidux and Mepis both run very fast from Live CD (I just can't get use to KDE). I love Mint and do believe it is Ubuntu done right. If Clem and Ikey get this done( and I can get my hardware functioning properly) I am done distro hopping, and will send them a nice donation!
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

no way! Mint 9 is way better than Mint 8 was
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

piratesmack wrote: My brother's laptop...
Well, my brother's system just got borked by an update, so I guess we'll try Puppy 5.1.
If that breaks, at least all he has to do is boot with 'pfix=clean' or 'pfix=purge' and everything should be back to normal.

Return to “Open Chat”