More MS Fascist Weirdness

Chat about just about anything else

More MS Fascist Weirdness

Postby red-e-made on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:53 am

I thought this was a joke, but sadly, it's all too true:

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtar ... xbox-live/

A few blogs I read this morning are reporting that people on the Xbox Live online service are being forbidden from using gamertags (read: screen names for Xbox 360) that feature the words Linux or Unix.

Okay, what happens when you like Linux, and decide to change your Xbox Live gamertag motto to “Linux rulesâ€￾? Well, Microsoft black flags you, that’s what. According to xbox-scene.com, Linux and Unix prompt the following response:

"Your motto contains inappropriate language. Please try again."

I can confirm this as I just tried it myself. Also, according to some xbox-scene.com forum-goers, variations on Linux such as “L I N U Xâ€￾ or “L inuxâ€￾ also are banned.

I try to keep an even hand here at the Log, being a journalist and all, but this is just lame. It’s not even worthy of being called “childishâ€￾ as that would be an insult to even the most insipid of today’s youth.

Seriously, Microsoft. I mean… really?!

Wow, what a powerful blow against Linux, eh? Effing stupid.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby shane on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 am

apparently you can't use Microsoft either... something about using company names as tags... but i don't think Linux is a company name... well someone over in Redmond must be ignorant.

as for it being a 'powerful blow'... i don't think so... Linux does not depend on the XBOX in anyway...

I wonder if you can use names like BMW, PS3 (oh the irony :lol: ) or even Pringles?!
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby red-e-made on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:48 am

shane wrote:as for it being a 'powerful blow'... i don't think so... Linux does not depend on the XBOX in anyway...

Sorry, I forgot to put in sarcasm tags.

Yeah, if you can't use any company names, I suppose that's an anti-spam measure. Still, it struck me as kinda dumb.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Open chat