Can anyone identify this object ???

Chat about just about anything else

Postby scorp123 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:53 pm

kenetics wrote: Hey Porcorosso, maybe it has something to do with cracking walnuts. :lol:
Unlikely ... that central metal basket cannot be collapsed any further. Whatever it was made for, cutting something or cracking nuts are not amongst the intended functions.

The suggestion about it holding something was probably the best so far. But I also agree with the argument about the stick being a bit too short and too small ... if you put this thing into a fryer (even a specially designed-for-this-strange-thing one) you'd probably get your hands burned.

Is there any chance that this is some sort of .... I dunno ... 'tool' of any sorts? As there are no blades on it it's probably safe to say that this thing isn't something a carpenter would use. You can't cut wood with it.

Maybe this is some weird sort of paint brush of some kind or something a painter would use??? (maybe there are parts missing) ...

We're thankful for any idea what this thing might be.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby porcorosso on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:44 pm

kenetics wrote:
best guess would be a fryer holder
or to hold something while it's boiling....

That's a possibility, but I would think the metal part of the handle would be a little longer to keep the wood (and hand) away from the fryer/boiler.

Hey Porcorosso, maybe it has something to do with cracking walnuts. :lol:

Oh, wow! I hadn't thought of that one in a LONG time! Danny Thomas was hilarious in that episode! Thanks for reminding me! (You are referring to that DvD episode, right?)

Okay, I'm going to stop reminiscing about that show now. It's OT.

:lol:
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kenetics on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:40 pm

@scorp, I was referring to another - very funny - episode of the Dick Van Dyke show titled "It may look like a walnut!". It was a parody of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", in which the alien pods looked like walnuts. They took over people bodies and left them emotionless and without thumbs (the theory being without opposable thumbs, humans would be helpless).

I was wondering if porcorosso would remember the episode and he did!

See how much you miss out on without American TV? :lol: My god, this stuff is from the 60's and I remember it. :shock:
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby sourwire on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:37 pm

A NetHack 'scroll of identify' would be really useful for this situation. Blessed or at least uncursed.
sourwire

Postby blogger on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:21 am

It's so obvious!
The crackerjack who invented the gadget was a nut. :) So, this is definitely a nut cracker; used mostly in the nut house, where these people end up after their crackup.
SEVERELY ADDICTED TO MINT / CASSANDRA SYNDROME
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nick on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:44 am

Hi

Obviously for squashing the "magic smoke" into IC's

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby arjaybe on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:59 pm

It's possible the device is meant to hold a bar of soap. I've seen similar things. It would be for making water soapy.
arjaybe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:05 pm

arjaybe wrote:It's possible the device is meant to hold a bar of soap. I've seen similar things. It would be for making water soapy.
.... but why would you do that? And in what context? Who would use such a thing e.g. to make water soapy?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cogDis on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:49 pm

scorp123 wrote:
arjaybe wrote:It's possible the device is meant to hold a bar of soap. I've seen similar things. It would be for making water soapy.
.... but why would you do that? And in what context? Who would use such a thing e.g. to make water soapy?

Laundry. Back when you used to do it by hand with home made soap.
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:52 pm

cogDis wrote:Laundry. Back when you used to do it by hand with home made soap.
Good point. I'll forward that theory to the owner of this very strange object :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cogDis on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:33 pm

I was thinking that this is a device they used to call a "soap saver". However, after revisiting your friends photos, I'm not so sure. The ends seem like they are too open to hold the ever diminishing fragments of soap. The ones I have seen before are generally much more primitive, although Germans are known for their engineering! :)

Here's a link to one just like my Grandma used to have. Somewhat similar, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/showcase-it ... ores/mamas
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Open chat