Apple the new world leader in software insecurity

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JonM33

Apple the new world leader in software insecurity

Post by JonM33 »

RE: http://arstechnica.com/security/news/20 ... curity.ars
Apple has displaced Oracle as the company with the most security vulnerabilities in its software, according to security company Secunia. Over the first half of 2010, Apple had more reported flaws than any other vendor. Microsoft retains its third-place spot.
Something to run by the Mac fanatics out there. Worst software on the planet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Apple the new world leader in software insecurity

Post by DrHu »

No, really

Windows OS + OEM still outsell Apple computers by 90+ percent, even if Apple due to their media devices, IPad, ITunes INext? has had more sales and media buzz than most companies, including Microsoft in the last year or so..

As long as the Windows OS +OEM package (volume/mass marketing) continues to outpace anyone else, Microsoft will aways be number 1 on insecurity.com or other security monitoring wen sites (including ) their partners/competitors , Symantec andf Macafee et all.

Your link..
  • Secunia also makes a case that effectively updating this third-party software is much harder to do; whereas Microsoft's Windows Update and Microsoft Update systems will provide protection for around 35% of reported vulnerabilities, patching the remainder requires the use of 13 or more updating systems. Some vendors—Apple, Mozilla, and Google, for example—do have decent automatic update systems, but others require manual intervention by the user.
..Some vendors—Apple, Mozilla, and Google, for example—do have decent automatic update systems
Are the ones that require manual intervention by the user, the Microsoft ones, I don't know, since

This is the usual media hype, that these companies engage in, it used to be Symantec and Mcaffee, would be breathlessly reporting every new virus available, whether it s was a series threat or not, and now we have security companies doing the same (could be it helps sell more of their security services, expecially for commercial companies..)

Secunia, also makes the point in that link, that security vulnerabilities have shifted to 3rd party software, such as flash etc, however their For immediate release media message does not show how that is the case or even if they are qualified to determine if it could be the case

I only take their report as a monitoring report and ign ore their suppositions about software qualities, that is, I see it only as a total security issues detected vs detected in which system (OS) or application service ?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Reported vulnerabilities != total vulnerabilities either.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

JonM33 wrote:RE: http://arstechnica.com/security/news/20 ... curity.ars
Apple has displaced Oracle as the company with the most security vulnerabilities in its software, according to security company Secunia. Over the first half of 2010, Apple had more reported flaws than any other vendor. Microsoft retains its third-place spot.
Something to run by the Mac fanatics out there. Worst software on the planet.
Have Anyone Here ever used Secunia? Well I Have and It's Just some more Windows Crap Blot Ware 99% of its scans is Wrong (Update a program It say You need to Update the program's update shows it up to date, It scans is a Joke We have no need for this Program in Linux--Consider the source of stuff like this One Site says Linux Has the Most. (Will try to find again and post Link)
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

The iPad got slated inthe most recent issue of MAD: worth a read.
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

Software updates pop up onto my screen as they released.

- Sent from my iMac

Return to “Open Chat”