Home Theater PCs

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
cjellis6

Home Theater PCs

Post by cjellis6 »

Hi all,

I've been looking more into centralizing all of my media, music, movies, games and the like from my personal storage into something that will actually make use of the home theater system I have, and the more I read the more I want to build a HTPC, something that will mesh well with my tiny, Minty netbook :D

I know that I'll need a decent graphics card and lots of storage, but I'm not sure if I'll need a sound card, or how to properly use TV tuner cards. After some Googling, all I know is that I'll need TV tuner cards to use my box as a PVR, but apparently each one will only get 50 channels? The cards have confused me. Also, I'm unsure as to how much of a resource hog this system will need to be in order to record and play HD.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to hardware and software? I've been using Linux for about 6 months now, and I think I'd be happy running MythTV or Boxee over Mint or a *buntu.

Is there anyone with experience in setting up something like this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BubbaBlues

Re: Home Theater PCs

Post by BubbaBlues »

Boxee doesn't do live tv. As for mythtv, in my experience, you have to be a guru to set it up as it's very complicated, then after
hours of configuring, it probably won't work anyway. My recommendation is get a dvr.
cjellis6

Post by cjellis6 »

Well that's unfortunate.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

My recommendation would be don't bother.
Get a standalone PVR, a games console and an Acer Revo.
Sorted.

Return to “Open Chat”