When is GNU-Linux going to team up and make a smartphone?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Nick_Djinn

When is GNU-Linux going to team up and make a smartphone?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Or even just create a distro that reprograms your Android or Iphone or Windows phone and installs itself on it, allowing the basic phone software (perhaps keeping elements of the old OS on tap somewhere) while giving you access to a mobile version of GNU-Linux which is MUCH superior to Android, even on 1Ghrz+ ARM processors?

As smartphones increase in power, this is going to be doable. In fact, I bet my Samsung Epic could run Linux Mint, though it would probably more effectively run Unity or LXDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nick_Djinn

Re: When is GNU-Linux going to team up and make a smartphone

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I guess its happening and its called MeeGo. An amalgam of Moblin and Mea** something or other that was based on Debian. This will have RPM packaged though, unfortunately.

It looks like Suse Linux has found a way to create a MeeGo shell around their Suse Linux distro, like how Mint transplanted the UI to Debian....which wasnt that big of a jump, but still a transplant.

If I was Clem I would talk some manufacturer into paying me 10 million dollars to develop a unique and superior operating system that is specific to that companies hardware. I think Clem has good taste and Im sure most of the community agrees, since its 90% style and approach that differentiates Mint from Ubuntu.

I would also start working on some tools to allow the operating system to be compatible with MeeGo phones, which I think are going to be huge.....this is a real GNU-Linux OS for netbooks and phones, and I think its going to blow Android out of the water.

Unfortunately it looks like Meego is going to be RPM instead of Debian, though its partially based on some Debian technology.....It would be awesome if....

A. Huge progress could be made to Linux by allowing deb and rpm files to be downloaded as a file and not just to an operating system, and
B. Allowing apps to be swapped back and forth with your phone and operating system.
C. Be able to browse the actual interface of your phone inside of a window on your computer or laptop or netbook, and not just see it as an external storage drive....Security could be an issue, but increased interactivity could be a good thing. Interacting with a device could have its own UI and be more than a collection of files......Or instead of using the phone from your computer, there could be a third neutral 'environment' with a user interface that could be accessed from either side, laptop or phone or desktop or server, and this would allow you to do things like browse your contacts, add contacts from one medium to another, combine certain folders or sync them without having to drag and drop like an external storage, and limited ability to change settings in your phone with your computer or to instruct your computer from your phone with a purely graphical interface that is interactive instead of something complicated to use like remote access.

This is something to think about if an RPM/Fedora distro ever becomes a reality.

Return to “Open Chat”