KDE, what gives?

Chat about just about anything else

KDE, what gives?

Postby blu3ness on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:54 pm

I can never bring myself to a KDE desktop environment, personally, I prefer gnome and xfce.

I know this is biased, so I tried PCLinuxOS today, the installation was ok, obviously not as polished as the ubuntu interface that mint uses, but it went fine nevertheless. I think they did a pretty good job integrating some Xorg, fstab, networking configuration in a GUI, the centralized control panel is pretty nice too, which allows your to adjust looks and feel, keybindings and shortcuts etc. But other than this, I don't really find KDE to be that much more useful than gnome, in a lot of places, I dislike KDE because of its "roughness", gnome appear to be more polished imo. Internationalization support was also poor in KDE, amorak still can't display my foreign artists properly. but I'm sure this can be fixed easily.

So yeah, I'm just throwing this out there for all the KDE-lovers, why do you love KDE?

Thanks 8)
blu3ness
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:09 pm

I don't use KDE, but I do understand the appeal.

KDE is much more fancy, customizable, and powerful.

For example, try comparing Konqueror and Nautilus. Then you'll see why some folks like KDE more.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kanishka on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:15 am

I also (slightly) prefer GNOME but I understand KDE's strong points. The extreme customizability (does such a word exists? :shock: ) is one, the "native" applications are another: try K3B, Ktorrent, KPDF, Kexi, Krita and others.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby deadguy on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:06 am

kanishka wrote:The extreme customizability (does such a word exists? :shock: ) is one, the "native" applications are another: try K3B, Ktorrent, KPDF, Kexi, Krita and others.

this is exactly why I like kde!!

blu3ness wrote:I know this is biased, so I tried PCLinuxOS today, the installation was ok, obviously not as polished as the ubuntu interface that mint uses, but it went fine nevertheless.

I recommend trying Cassandra kde ce. :wink:
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby belovedmonster on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:12 pm

As popular as Distrowatch would have you have you believe PCLinuxOS is, I dont think its the best KDE distro out there. Try to evaluate the KDE eco-system on its own merits not whether PCLinuxOS is a good distro or not.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Why I love KDE

Postby dracorX on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:41 am

- Infinite customisation
- K3b
- Konqueror
- Amarok
- File dialogs ( I hate the gnomish ones )
- KBFX
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Open chat