Audio will always suck in Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Audio will always suck in Linux

Post by mzsade »

And i will hang my head in shame when i have over an XP user to listen to music, unless somebody decides to work on it. And why pulse, for bog's sake? It doesn't even have an equalizer! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029576
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
kvv

Re: Audio will always suck in Linux

Post by kvv »

Ironically, Audacious (http://audacious-media-player.org/) has the best equalizer I have ever used. Beats ever Windows counterpart I have seen. It's developers are some what arrogant, but they are efficient and know what they are doing.

Have fun. :)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I was thinking more along the lines of one for VLC; which of course is the second best alternative to a system wide GE.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=820766
Except i haven't a clue how to get it, always get stuck when they write "open VLC, go to Settings" Eh!?? What, Where...? :?
kvv

Post by kvv »

There in fact exists a system wide 18 - 20 band equalizer, but I never used it or felt the need to use it, partly because it kinda sucked.

Google along the lines of "ubuntu gnome system wide equalizer pulse audio", you get the flow. I think it's a ppa, but I don't really remember.

And thanks for the link, it was pretty interesting,
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I installed the equalizer (which I found by following the thread linked to by the OP) and can honestly say that it works, and works well here.

To be honest, I didn't have any problems with the default setup in Mint (Whereas in Windows 7 I had to tweak the equalizer for a good 30 minutes to obtain a decent sound quality when I bought some new speakers, the sound in Mint was fine without tweaking). I was, however, bemoaning the lack of a system wide equalizer at the time, and am rather happy now to have one that works.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
kvv

Post by kvv »

Yes, I had used the same thing. However, I thought it was very sensitive to small changes and found it quite hard to tweak. And I am one of those guys who go crazy if I don't have the right settings. (I know I am kinda spoilt :P, wonder if Audacious will port to Windows)
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Read my thread about Pulse being the worst tragedy ever to befall Linux.

That said, PureDyne and some other music-media centered distros, PureDyne being an amalgam of Ubuntu and Dynabolic, actually have great sound recording and editing capability. Ive veen using Linux to record and some studios use Studio64.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Actually I am having second thoughts about the necessity for a system wide equalizer after discovering what VLC's “Tools>>Effects and Filters” can do. Apart from having an equalizer with convenient presets, it has a lot of video options too. What I need to know is, is increasing the brightness and Gamma, etc. with it, in effect, the same as changing the Nvidia Xserver color settings, in the sense that, does it put the same extra load on the system resources?
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Im sure it does, but I doubt its going to make or break system performance on newer hardware. Its not like we are talking about editing 3d rendering from one format to another, which is probably one of the most resource intensive tasks you can do.

Return to “Open Chat”