what happened to Scorp?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

what happened to Scorp?

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Just curious - what happened to Scorp? I have not seen him around the last few weeks. Hope he is OK!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I asked him not to moderate the forums anymore (mostly because he lacked tact while facing unreasonable users) and he got vexed and left. I can't blame him, I would have probably reacted the same way, although it's a pity because even if I still think this cooled down some tensions in the forums he was a great asset to this community, both as personality among people who come here often and to people coming here looking for help.

Who knows, one day he might change his mind and come back? He's very welcome to and I hope he does.

It was my mistake. I saw how great he was at supporting others, I wanted to credit him for that somehow and to make him more involved.. and I made him moderator.. which was a mistake. A moderator doesn't actually need to know much about Linux, he needs to know how to deal with people and a community and at the time I didn't see that this way. It's like the Theorem of Peter gone wrong.. saw somebody great and ruined him by promoting him.

I really hope he understands that and comes back on day. He's too direct and sarcastic to be a good moderator but we do definitely miss him on the forums. I don't spend much time in the support forums but I guess he's missed a lot over there.

Clem
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Ah - the Peter Principle.

Yes - I understand. Not to pile on - but when I first tried Mint last year with Bea and another dysfunctional laptop or two after Ubunut hell he busted my **** big time and I left.

Lately he did bust the **** and more to others but he also did help too. His lack of finesse was definitely a blow to a new or moderately knowledgeable linux person here; so - i do understand...

I did not mean to dig up anything - just did not see him around and was wondering is he was allright - that was it.

Best wishes!

Sorry to make a private thing public.

my apologies.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

He helped me a good deal. Yes, his personality rubbed some people the wrong way, but once you adjusted to his ways he was a great guy. I hope he comes back as a poster, at least. A little sarcasm is good for the soul. :twisted:
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Yes! He has helped me a lot recently!
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:Yes! He has helped me a lot recently!
While it is true he could be as tactful as a train wreck (haven't we all been guilty of that?), I am a more informed LinuxMint user because of his willingness to share his expertise.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Oh no!
Scorp is such a great guy. Warm and funny sometimes.
People, even myself, misunderstood him at times in the past. I just hope that I had no part in influencing Clem's decision.

We all need you, Scorp! :) And we love you as the best friend in the forums. :)
Can you find some room in your heart for forgiveness? Human nature is so complex. One can be warm and friendly, but intolerant of simple-mindedness.
That is Scorp in MHO.

I am really, really sad! :(

Come on Scorp, have a bottle of 'ouzo' on me, and please come back!
Most of us love you!
Cheers,
Proud to be your friend,
Npap
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

While not commenting directly on the issue with Scorp, I would like to say I know where Clem is coming from. It isn't always easy finding those who are the best moderators. People who have just the right mix of being a "people person" and the ability to make what amounts to being an "editor" more or less.

Being extremely talented in one aspect, doesn't always carry over into other areas equally. People who have the talent to be efficient and "good" moderators have one heck of a job to do and tons of patience.

As one person who is an admin of more than one board, I, myself don't make a very good moderator for the very same reasons. I am always on the lookout for members of those boards who have that "way" about them. then I can just be the ogre I am and just post like everyone else.

To those with the time, patience and exceptional talent to keep a forum moving in a good direction, I tip my hat to you.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: what happened to Scorp?

Post by red-e-made »

Interesting how many people here have had run-ins with Scorp. And while it's true that I've seen him spend a whole paragraph belittling a person who asked a question before getting to the one-sentence answer, he has provided a great wealth of knowledge, to me in particular. As was said, knowledge is fine, but moderating takes a bit more of a diplomatic personality than anything. That someone would storm out of the forum in a huff, never to return, just for being asked to relinquish the title of mod seems a bit extreme to me. The internet is serious business indeed. Maybe he'll calm down and come back, which would be welcome, of course. It wasn't a big deal to start with, and as we see in this thread, even those he's mocked wish he would return. That's saying something. Hopefully he'll return.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Scorp is alive and well and living in Ubuntu Land, as I think has already been pointed out. Very old saying, "no one is indispensable".
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

900i wrote: Very old saying, "no one is indispensable".
Ah, I have it as "Graveyards are full of indispensable people..." :wink:

That said, I miss him too - not only his knowledge but his temper was very entertaining... :twisted:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

I am a bit disheartened that he has left us.
Why I bet he has already created another username and is just waiting with tact, he will prevail,
Viva la reencarnación de Scorp!
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Scorp...........get the #$%& over it and come back NOW!!!!!!!

Return to “Open Chat”