First Linux TV Ad

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

First Linux TV Ad

Post by tdockery97 »

Just came across this ad that was run during the 2003 Superbowl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0G9wK ... re=related
I bet you-know-who didn't like this one. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: First Linux TV Ad

Post by willie42 »

I thought it was decent
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Looked like a good advertisement, except for one minor problem. At no point does it indicate that Linux is a computer operating system, which means that most people who saw it would have no idea what it was advertising (they were probably hunting around the Tesco frozen food section looking for this wonderful new ready meal called Linux, asking shelf stacker after shelf stacker where it was, and making impulse buys of a load of stuff they didn't want as they hunted for this tasty, new "Linux" that they spent so much money looking for it they may as well have bought Windows (both for their computer and a new set to look through whilst waiting for it to boot).
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

Actually in todays world, 1 it really doesnt have to because after that commercial people will sit there and go wow then go to the computer to google linux, 2 people who know enough will have caught on to what it actually was and i suspect it was targeted to those people as could you imagine the IBM phone/helpdesk/forum being inundated with the caliber of some of the new peeps that grace us with their presence at times ( i will not name any as the scars are still quite fresh and the word email makes me shudder still) but you get the drift.
Se7en

Post by Se7en »

Neatly made commercial , and I didnt even know it was the first Linux TV ad till you said it , I really like how they focused on the strength point of Linux ( the community ) , hurray for IBM!
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I look at it this way. Linux is getting national coverage so that may get people motivated to try it and get hard ware companies to start making drivers for products. The ad was eye catching so thats a good thing too. :mrgreen:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “Open Chat”