Sidux 2007-4

Chat about just about anything else

Sidux 2007-4

Postby exploder on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:06 pm

I was bored today so I downloaded Sidux 2007-4 to check it out. I am not very much of a KDE fan but Sidux has the latest 2.6.23 CFS kernel and xorg 7.3. Boot time from the Live CD was incredibly fast and applications ran very fast from the Live CD as well! All of my hardware was detected properly and the video resolution was perfect!

The base system is extremely fast and stable! There is however no "out of the box" multimedia and the fonts are typical of a Debian system. I liked the fact that Sidux is a rolling release. The artwork was alright but no where near the level of Mint.

Despite the fonts and codecs, I was still very impressed. I am surprised that no one has used Sidux as a base, it shows great promise.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sidux 2007-4

Postby kanishka on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:02 am

I agree, Sidux is really impressive. I have a partition dedicated to it. It shows the high quality of the Debian Sid desktop.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sidux 2007-4

Postby jdhore on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:35 am

Sidux is great, but things break quite often...When Xorg 7.3 first merged in, massive breakages for well over a week with anything (It still has minor issues from what i hear). When GNOME 2.20 first started merging in, it took about 3-4 weeks for the full GNOME to be in the distro...Not even considering the other minor breakages when a new GCC merges in or a new libc6 merges in or something of the like. I used Sid for about 6 months and up until about a month and a half ago it was working great, but i'd rather stick with Ubuntu/Mint and be up-to-date every 6 months and completely safe from updates rather than going with Sid again and having to worry daily about what packages will and won't work. I also like the fact that about half the packages in Sid can be used in Gutsy/Mint 4 with just installing the debs if need be.
jdhore
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open chat