Repos or compile from source?

Chat about just about anything else

Repos or compile from source?

Postby DealerMan on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:04 pm

How often do any of you install software from source instead of using available repos? Is there any meaningful benefit (stability, etc)? Just curious.
I don't mind going to work, it's that 8 hour wait to go home that sucks.
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Repos or compile from source?

Postby 67GTA on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

I rarely install from source unless there is something I can't get from the repos, or have to get a newer version. The only downside is that once you install from source (assuming you didn't download malicious software) is that it will not get updates. You will have to manually update everything not installed from the repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby deadguy on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:04 pm

I have installed from source in the past when I used redhat, but
nowadays I can usually find everything I need either in the repos
or find a deb package to install. it's soo much easier!!
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby blu3ness on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:27 pm

I compile from source for the packages that needs to be customized, i.e. Emacs with X-font support
but generally repos packages are very good.
blu3ness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jdhore on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:39 pm

My opinion in order of How much i like them (like the first the most, the last the least):

Repos-.debs-Source-Just an executable (no compiling)

The repos are great because of automatic updates, debs are OK too because it's just one step to get them installed too, but the downside is automatic updates...I enjoy compiling, but no automatic updates, it sometimes takes a while, you usually have to install a few -dev packages from apt for it to work and basically, i only do it when something i want isn't in the default repos or a 3rd party repo or the latest version (not in the repos) has some feature i REALLY, REALLY want. As for just an executable...You can't set any options, it doesn't really tell you what dependencies it requires, you've got to more it into a */bin directory manually, it doesn't come with much documentation and overall...not fun to use.
jdhore
Level 1
Level 1

Postby civint on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:28 pm

I generally download from repos, or from downloaded .debs for times sake, as well as the fact that I rareley have all the required software for compiling from source. Also, since we use ubuntu based repos, and I'm not really a major user of apps like emacs, so I don't need the customization offered by source compiling (if I wanted that I would have installed slackware or Gentoo.....)
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DealerMan on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Excellent responses, thanks everyone. This is helping me to actually understand how & why Linux works the way it does.
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spinstate on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:13 pm

I think compiling from source is mostly useful for applications that are CPU intensive like video encoding, 3d rendering etc.. in these cases compiling optimized builds might help squeeze out some extra performance.
spinstate
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jdhore on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:32 pm

spinstate wrote:I think compiling from source is mostly useful for applications that are CPU intensive like video encoding, 3d rendering etc.. in these cases compiling optimized builds might help squeeze out some extra performance.

This may be true, but all the high-end graphical/video/3D apps in the repos are already built for 686 so you're not going to squeeze much more performance out of it by specifically compiling for your processor type. 386/486-686 is a pretty big move, but 686-Prescott or Northwood or one of the other ones isn't.
jdhore
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat