MINT IN YOUR LANGUAGE

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

MINT IN YOUR LANGUAGE

Post by npap »

NOTE. THIS POST HAS BEEN REVISED AFTER CERTAIN CLARIFICATIONS BY CLEM IN THE THREAD BELOW
Please read Clem's thread.

If your native language is not English

Basic facts
A. Translations are stored in the Repositories, not in the CD ISO.
B. They are downloaded and installed either automatically or manually.

-The live CD contains a folder named Isolinux. This is where two basic files, the (en.tr) and the (en.hlp) are found translated in many languages.

The x.tr file contains all installation instructions, menus etc in our chosen language..
The x.hlp file is used for the HELP facility, in our language.
The files above are not necessary for conversion to your language any more.

-These files are only needed during the installation process. If for example we have selected French, the fr.tr and the fr.hlp files will be used by the system.
-When the installation is nearing its end, the necessary language packs are downloaded by Synaptic.(We must be connected to the Internet).

BUT THIS PROCESS IS NOT NECESSARY ANY LONGER.

CASE A Selection of language before installation to the hard disk:

In the live CD, Go to:
Menu>Control Center>System>Language Support
1) Uncheck any languages that you don't want, leave English checked and put a check mark
on your language.

2) Click on 'Apply'..
Now, your Internet connection will be activated and Synaptic will download and install all
necessary language packs.
NOTE Wait until the download is completed, it may take some time.

3) In the Language Support card, down at the bottom, there is a window which is named Default
Language.
After the installation is complete,click on this window and select your language.
You will now have two choices: English or Your Language. Make your language the Default
choice.
Click on the INSTALL icon. Now the installation process will be in the language that you have been asked to select.
All text and menus will be in this language.

CASE B Conversion of an HDD installation which is already in English.

Follow the three steps in Case A.
Restart your system. Now all the menus, and most text will be in your language.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: MINT IN YOUR LANGUAGE

Post by clem »

Basically, many languages are supported but the liveCD itself only comes in English. I think we'll keep it that way because adding a language is easy, apart from demonstration needs there's no much need to have the liveCD itself localized and also because each language takes a lot of space so we'd have to make an arbitrary decision on which languages to include and even then we'd have trouble fitting everything on the CD.

So let's say you're Greek (hi npap :)).

- The liveCD boots in English (no other choice).
- You get to the live environment which is in English.
- You click on Install
- The first question asked by the installer is which is your language
- You select Greek.
- The installer automatically switches to Greek.
- During the installation phase the installer tries to connect to the Internet. If there's a working connection it downloads all the packages to support Greek, and after the installation is finished your system reboots into a Greek environment. If there is no connection to the Internet it fails to download the language pack for Greek and after the installation is finished your system reboots into an English environment. If that is the case, all you need to do is make the connection to the Internet and go to Control Center->Language support and select Greek... this will download all the packages that failed to download during the installation.

And that's about it. So remember, it's an easy process, for most people it's automatic, and the only problem really... is that the liveCD itself is in English... thanks to that we can fit on a CD rather than a DVD and we can add a lot of great software which we couldn't otherwise (namely The Gimp, OpenOffice Database, etc..).

npap: I know you'd like us to go back to translating .tr and .hlp files. This would be no problem but the problem is that we also need to have language-pack-el and language-pack-gnome-el on the CD, and they're absolutely huge... and if we do that for Greek, we also need Spanish, French, German, Polish, Dutch...etc etc.. and we can forget about a CD download. So instead I think we'll focus on translating the user guide and in insisting in it on how to activate languages. Alternatively (if there is really a need for it) I can make a tutorial on how to roll out a Greek liveCD by tweaking the stable ISO with a tool called Reconstructor.. but then communities will need to think in terms of mirroring, downloads, release announcements... and trust me, this is huge as well. Else, we can think of an international (as in "as many languages as possible") edition.. on a DVD, but I don't actually think it's worth the hassle. As the light edition and the upcoming professional editions are very specific maybe one of them could also take this role.. I need to think about all this. My focus at the moment is not on having a localized liveCD, but on having a localized installed system on the HD, and I think the present edition is doing a good job in that respect. What we're lacking here is documentation.

What do you think?
(sorry, I meant to tell you all that by email and I never got time to actually do it).

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

You are absolutely right, Clem
Conversion to any language is simple and it doesn't require the translation files.
I proved it myself. This morning I installed Daryna by first going to Control Center>Language Support, in the live CD. I selected Greek as my preferred language and made it default,

The whole installation was done in Greek.
Which means that the (el.tr) and (el.hlp) files are no longer needed in Mint editions.
That is good news.
Cheers,
npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

npap wrote:You are absolutely right, Clem
Conversion to any language is simple and it doesn't require the translation files.
I proved it myself. This morning I installed Daryna by first going to Control Center>Language Support, in the live CD. I selected Greek as my preferred language and made it default,

The whole installation was done in Greek.
Which means that the (el.tr) and (el.hlp) files are no longer needed in Mint editions.
That is good news.
Cheers,
npap
An even easier way, as suggested by you, Clem, is to start the installation from the CD in English. Clicking on the install icon, you are asked to select your language in step no. 1.
Doing that, your installation starts in the language selected.
I tried it and now I have a perfect system in Greek. :)

Return to “Open Chat”