Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 2

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 2

Post by exploder »

I downloaded Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 2 tonight to have a look at the new things coming up. Gnome 2.21.4 is looking good! The new system monitor is real nice! Pulse Audio seems to work very nice with applications but the logon and logoff sounds did not work for me. Gimp 2.4.2 works well, (it's also available for Gutsy in "Gutsy Proposed"). My hardware had no problems with the 2.6.24 kernel or xorg 7.3.

Hardy is looking very good for such an early alpha build. Since LinuxMint is built on Ubuntu it is a good idea to participate in Hardy's development and submit bug reports through Launchpad.

All in all, I was impressed with alpha 2! Very nice work for such an early build!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
molom

Re: Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 2

Post by molom »

Are there ever going to be any change in looks or any big changes going to be made in gnome sooner or later? How come KDE releases are such a big deal like KDE4 while gnome doesn't get as much attention?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

thats a good question, i think probably because gnome releases are more frequent, and are subtle changes to the usability and interface, where as kde4 is a big overhaul, a complete change of the entire wm and interface. the file manager is changing, and even the kicker is being dropped in favor of what they are calling a plasma panel. all the small changes that have gone on in kde3 from 3.0 to the current 3.5.8, have been small changes with just as little hype about them as the gnome changes. i think if gnome went through a complete overhaul, meaning a change of the file manager, gnome panel, and interface, it would garner the same attention as kde4 is getting. just my opinion.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The "Resources" tab in the "System Monitor" has a new look and it is easy on the eyes. I think Gnome's approach to updates helps keep that clean look it has. Gnome has consistency in it's look. I liked how stable the alpha release was, getting Xorg 7.3 to behave so well is quite an accomplishment. Pulse audio seemed to provide very crisp, clean sound too.

The base for the next LinuxMint will have some very impressive new features and should be very stable too!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I ran alpha 2 all day on another hard drive. This is what I found out!

Pros: Base system has a stable feel.
Xorg 7.3 seems to work well.
Gimp updated to 2.4.2 (More features, red eye remover, etc.)
The 2.6.24.2 kernel seems solid.
Network Manager works properly.
Gnome 2.21.4 seems to have fixed the GDM error problems and has introduced a better looking Resources tab in System Monitor.

Cons: OpenOffice Base will not install because of an unmet dependency. (Should see a fix soon.)
Can not add wallpaper! (Eye Of Gnome can be used to set the wallpaper for a work around.)
Logon and logoff sounds are not working by default. (Workaround here http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup) Multimedia sound worked with all apps.
Background color at logon is tan and has to be manually edited to change.
Some screensavers will not run and the Floating Ubuntu screensaver is missing.

For an alpha release the problems found are very minor. All of the bugs mentioned here have bug reports filed. I am looking forward to the next release to see what progress has been made.Quite nice for an alpha release!

Thought some might be interested since LinuxMint is based on Ubuntu.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is some information about pulse audio http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
I could get everything to work except system sounds.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have been playing around with alpha 2 today. I have almost completely made it into LinuxMint! I could not handle the Ubuntu look any more! It was a fun project. There are some new things out for Hardy, Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 and Brasero 0.7.0. There is still a long way to go before the final release but I have been having fun tinkering with it!

Oh yeh, almost forgot to mention what isn't working in Hardy. The menu has a serious lag as far as the mouse hovering. The mint-menu inherits this when it is installed in Hardy, The mint-menu tends to get stuck and stop when scrolling down the "All Applications" section of the menu. I believe this can be fixed I just haven't found the tweaks for the Gnome menu yet. Also, there is quite a delay in the menu when a new application is installed.

All of the compiz problems are back in Hardy, log on and off problems are back. OpenOffice Base is still missing and will not install because of dependency issues. Wallpaper still has to be installed using "eye of gnome". The background color at start up still has to be changed manually because it comes up tan no matter what you choose. I still can not get the startup and shutdown sounds to work but all multimedia applications have sound.

Gnome in Hardy is still a developmental release, it is not the final 2.22.0.

This is still an alpha so these kinds of things are to be expected, The Hardy alpha never crashed for me other than the compiz issues and everything LinuxMint uses will work, aside from the menu lag it inherits from the base system. Bug reports are out there for for the bugs I have mentioned.

I have the alpha 2 release installed on an extra hard drive for testing and it was a lot of fun making it into a LinuxMint alpha! I wanted some experience with Usplash and it was an interesting challenge for me. I still have to put on the gfxboot and the gnome splash to have the complete look but I have everything else looking like Daryna. It was a lot of fun!

Return to “Open Chat”