The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: The Mint Café

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 pm Image
Oh that's a good one! And so true. :lol:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Tomgin5 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:01 pm Hi All! I think I got lost in the clutter a couple of years back Getting bored with the weather waiting to getting back to cycling in the Northwest. Just a mention of my resurrected hobby scraptops I brought back to life with LM.

Toshiba U205 LM 18 Cinnamon 64/WinXP Pro 32 bit,
Toshiba L305 LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64, Dell Opto 990 LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64,
Dell Vostro 1000 LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64. Samsung NP 305E5A LM 18.3 64 Cinnamon,
Asus Eee 1001PX XFCE 19.1 64 2GB W 220 GB SSD,
Asus X402U 330 GB SSD 19.1 Cinnamon64,
MSI U200 1 GB Ram-128GB SSD XFCE 19.1 32 bit,
(2) Dell Mini9-910 W/16GB SSD 2 GB RAM XFCE 19.1 32 bit. (8) Dell Mini9-910 W/8GB SSD 2 GB RAM Peppermint9 32 bit.,
Dell Inspirion N5010 6GB RAM 160GB SSD LM 19.1 Cinnamon 64.
Welcome,Tomgin5
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Greetings and best wishes to all our new friends in the forum from npap :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

50 Shades of Grey for Seniors

Post by lsemmens »

Back and forth. . . in and out. . .in and out . . .a little to the right. . . a little to the left . . . she could feel the sweat on her forehead . . . between her breasts. . .and, trickling down the small of her back. . . she was getting near to the end. He was in ecstasy. . . with a huge smile on his face as his wife moved. . . forwards then backwards. . . forward then backward. . . again. . . and again. . . her heart was pounding now. . . her face was flushed . . . she moaned softly at first, then began to groan louder . . .finally . . . totally exhausted . . . she let out a piercing scream . . . . ."OK, OK, you smug bastard, I can't parallel park. You do it!"
Fully mint Household
Fuzzy Penquin

Re: 50 Shades of Grey for Seniors

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:32 am Back and forth. . . in and out. . .in and out . . .a little to the right. . . a little to the left . . . she could feel the sweat on her forehead . . . between her breasts. . .and, trickling down the small of her back. . . she was getting near to the end. He was in ecstasy. . . with a huge smile on his face as his wife moved. . . forwards then backwards. . . forward then backward. . . again. . . and again. . . her heart was pounding now. . . her face was flushed . . . she moaned softly at first, then began to groan louder . . .finally . . . totally exhausted . . . she let out a piercing scream . . . . ."OK, OK, you smug bastard, I can't parallel park. You do it!"
OMG, that had me thinking something else completely, and then I got to the end and laughed out loud. :lol: Had to show it to my husband, who also got a laugh out of it. Thanks for sharing, man. :lol:

(For the record, I can parallel park just fine. Lol)
Aily

Re: 50 Shades of Grey for Seniors

Post by Aily »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:32 am Back and forth. . . in and out. . .in and out . . .a little to the right. . . a little to the left . . . she could feel the sweat on her forehead . . . between her breasts. . .and, trickling down the small of her back. . . she was getting near to the end. He was in ecstasy. . . with a huge smile on his face as his wife moved. . . forwards then backwards. . . forward then backward. . . again. . . and again. . . her heart was pounding now. . . her face was flushed . . . she moaned softly at first, then began to groan louder . . .finally . . . totally exhausted . . . she let out a piercing scream . . . . ."OK, OK, you smug bastard, I can't parallel park. You do it!"
Hahaha, My mind went exactly where it was supposed to: Straight into the gutter! :mrgreen:
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The Mint Café, Special Characters

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Hello all,

I’m not at all certain that this question belongs here or not, but as it arises from The Mint Café in the Open Chat forum I’ll start here.

In this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=829

npap uses some special characters, I’m wondering if npap used a word processor as I did to add these common special characters: #, %, &.

Specifically npap used special characters in the following words among others:
goodnéss, sociále, adventúre.

My question is: Are special characters available through the forum or only by the use of a word processor and cut and paste?

Thank you and respectfully yours Massively ignorant
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Look up Character Map in Accessories. You should be able to c&p the appropriate symbol from there.
Fully mint Household
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:43 pm Look up Character Map in Accessories. You should be able to c&p the appropriate symbol from there.
isemmens,

Thank you for your reply.

After a brief review of the icons along the top of the "Post a Reply" box, I'm not seeing Accessories, so I'm at a bit of a loss to know where else to look.

Respectfully yours, Massively ignorant
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I don't know if I have said this lately, but Mint is responsible for me coming back to Linux.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: The Mint Café, Special Characters

Post by Portreve »

E1-Beard-0 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:03 pm Hello all,

I’m not at all certain that this question belongs here or not, but as it arises from The Mint Café in the Open Chat forum I’ll start here.

In this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=829

npap uses some special characters, I’m wondering if npap used a word processor as I did to add these common special characters: #, %, &.

Specifically npap used special characters in the following words among others:
goodnéss, sociále, adventúre.

My question is: Are special characters available through the forum or only by the use of a word processor and cut and paste?

Thank you and respectfully yours Massively ignorant
There's actually a very elegant, clean, and I would argue ideal solution to this.

0. Close out any programs you presently have open.

1. LM Menu -> System Settings -> Keyboard

2. Click on the "Layouts" tab at the top.

3. In the lower left corner, click the Add Layout (+) button.

4. Scroll down until you find the listing for "English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)"

5. Click Add.

6. With that layout highlighted in the list, click the up arrow button to make it the default layout. This way, you have the old one and if you don't like this new one, you can remove it and there's no harm done to your system.

This layout gives you what I like to think of as a Classic Mac OS / Mac OS X on steroids way of being able to summon accented characters and other symbols on the fly without you needing to always pull up a utility like Character Map.

Let me explain why I believe this is the best way of doing things (which, you might have noticed from the screen shots above, is how I have my own system set up) and why I think you're going to like this.

If you look at your physical keyboard, you'll see there's an Alt key on the left and one on the right of the space bar. Traditionally, the right-hand Alt key is known as the "Alt Graphics" or "AltGr" key. It's the one you'll use. The left-hand Alt key will continue to work as a standard Alt key and will not do any of what you're about to see.

For example, let's assume you wanted to type the Spanish word for year, which is "año".

You can type this now via the following way: a AltGr+n o

As another example, let's say you wish to type the German word for street, which is "Straße".

Do it like this: Shift+s t r a AltGr+s e

Last example, let's say you wish to type the French word for Christmas, which is "Noël".

Here's how: Shift+n o AltGr+" [immediately followed by] e l

When you use certain other keys, like the quote key for the umlaut, bear in mind that works for any letter which lets you add an umlaut. You can use the apostrophe key for a rightward-pointing mark, like the one over the letter e in José, or the key next to the 1 key, `, to get the à in déjà.

From within the Layouts tab of the Keybard settings panel, you can also click on the keyboard button at the lower left to bring up a keyboard layout and shortcut panel.

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The last post was getting lengthy especially because of the screen shots included in it. However, I wanted to follow up with some additional comments.

I "cut my teeth" on a Macintosh, starting in 1986. From the very beginning of the Macintosh platform in 1984, there was a very elegant way to be able to type alternative characters, including but not limited to accented characters. That was to hold down the Option key and type a given letter on the keyboard. The issue is that, in the interest of keeping things "simple" (in this, I would argue that at the time they were sincerely striving for simplicity, not brain-deadness) they assumed certain letters would stand in for the most common options for accented characters, and you would have to either hunt for other keys to get variants, or you could use the option key in conjunction with one of the keys on the number row or a couple other spots to pick the accent you wanted, and then press the letter you wanted to use it with.

So, for many of us long-time Mac users, typing [AltGr] + [e] to get é is simply a natural progression from typing [Option] + [e] for the very same purpose.

My reason for not including a screenshot of the keyboard shortcut/layout panel along with all the other screenshots I posted above is that visually, it's a total nightmare, and might frighten you off if it's the first thing you look at to try and figure out how to type accented and other characters.

By default, if you type [AltGr] + any vowel, you'll get the "acute accent":

á é í ó ú

To get the "grave accent" you can simply type [AltGr] + [`] followed then by any vowel:

à è ì ò ù

Umlauts (or dieresis) work very similarly: [AltGr] + ["] (that's the quote key, so actually it's [AltGr] + [Shift] + [']) followed then by any vowel:

ä ë ï ö ü

This is logical and intuitive because, if you look at hand-written umlauts, they often are just a little bit sloppy and look like a kind of a quote mark over the letter.

Some characters are unique. The Eszett in German, for example, is [AltGr] + [ s ].

ß

This is also logical and intuitive because the Eszett, or more literally "s - set" is a pair, or set, of the letter s.

If you need the circumflex, then it's [AltGr] + [6] followed by a great many different possible letters, which includes all the vowels as well as some consonants:

â ê î ô û ŵ ŷ ŝ ...

This is pretty obvious since the [6] key also has the ^ which is also often known as the "karat" or "carat" and is a pretty standard default symbol used in menus for keyboard shortcuts like [CTRL] + [ S ] to save "^s", and so on.

Other things are, truth be told, technically arbitrary placements, but once you get used to them, they're easy enough to remember.

For example [AltGr] + [5] gives you the Euro sign:

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello Porteve,

QUOTE: Specifically npap used special characters in the following words among others:
goodnéss, sociále, adventúre." END QUOTE

In respect to your comments above, these odd characters appeared after a crash of the Forums a few years ago..
They are not normal since they mean nothing. But your work on the various special caracters is very usefull.
Greetings
npap
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Did you know,
Senior Citizens are the nation's leading carriers of AIDS!!

HEARING AIDS

BAND AIDS

ROLL AIDS

WALKING AIDS

MEDICAL AIDS

GOVERNMENT AIDS

Most of all,

MONETARY AIDS for their kids!

And Not forgetting HIV!

(Hair is Vanishing!)
Fully mint Household
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

No kidding! The closer I get to 60 the more I agree with that.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Yessss! At 75 I am still giving aid to kids. Daughter (46) is still coming home to Papa, after 3rd divorce :shock:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Ok, so, some personal stuff (with sensitive info redacted, of course) not for pity, but just to talk about it...

I have been with my present employer for the better part of four years. I audit their stores, so it's a traveling position. For the past year or so, they have been working with an outside (i.e. "third party") inventory auditing company, and this was being done because they had had so many acquisitions going on that they just didn't have the internal manpower.

However, midway through this year the higher-ups decided they would start bringing them into existing established areas of existing stores, and for the past several months they have had the geographic area I cover. As a consequence, my boss has been sending us further away from where we live because none of the stores in our area are available to us any longer. However, a few weeks ago had her knuckles rapped by upper management for giving out "unnecessary" and "excessive" drive time and mileage, because she does have a team who lives up in that neck of the woods. However, she can't send us to any of the stores down here, so either she gives us drive time and mileage, or we don't have any work. However, upper management doesn't care about that. Moreover, there are some other tasks we are capable of doing, but either she's been told that's not an appropriate use of our labor hours, or they are things that only need to be done very sporadically.

What this has resulted in is that, as a full time associate, I'm getting between 1 and 3 days a week of work. Clearly, it's not possible for me to survive on this.

I told her in a phone call that if this keeps up, she's going to lose her team. She agreed. I also believe, as do others I work with, that it's only a matter of time before they give that company the other areas as well. However, whether that happens or not, I'm barely employed at this point.

While this is the very first time in my work life that anything like this has happened, what I have noticed over the course of my time in the working world in the U.S. is that our labor laws and labor practices, which basically suck, have been getting worse. It's all wrapped up in corporate-sponsored political ideology (which I won't get into here because LMF has rules against getting into religion and politics, which I very much support) and so things which should be changed just never are, with a significant portion of the population shouting down anyone who would ever express an interest in such changes. It's why, among other reasons, I recently changed my LMF profile to warn non-US folk coming to the US for work to be very careful because we may not have the various protections they're used to.

Anyhow, I've been busting my hump on Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster, trying to get in somewhere. Logically, this should be the best time to do so since our national unemployment rate is 3.5% (in classical economics, 5% is considered "full employment") so employers should be (and, as far as I can tell, are) screaming for employees. About a week ago, a major corporation contacted me and I've now made it through three (or four, depending on how you want to count them) stages of employment screening, and I now have a live, in-person interview lined up for Jan. 16.

I can't wait to walk away from this stupid company (and they are stupid, for many reasons beyond anything having to do with my situation) and never have to count crap again, deal with horrible store conditions, freeze my ass off in coolers, deal with mold and god-knows-what-else.

Return to “Open Chat”