The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

The

Post by npap »

[s
Last edited by npap on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Question Section?

Post by npap »

Zone wrote:so is this the Mint Noobs Ask Ridiculous Questions Section????
Yes Zone!
Anybody can come here for a virtual Mint cocktail and get a virtual answer to his problem. :)
No one will blame you here for being a 'noob' with a 'noobie' question.
This place is for relaxation mostly. We sit in the Virtual Lounge shooting the bull, and some times some guy will tell us a story for laughs. :)

Here's to your health!
PS. What are your booze preferences, BTW? We are trying to enrich our MintMenu

npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Mint Café

Post by antiquexray »

npap wrote:Hello everybody,

...everybody may use this place to express his ideas or some healthy humor, not many people have done it so far...This is not a personal Blog...Here I am sitting in the lounge all by myself. :( Who can I talk to but myself! ).
I'm sorry, did somebody say something??? I thought I heard someone!!! CLEM! SCORP...was that you???? Hello (hello...hello...hello). HMMM. What was that gals name the that Hera cursed...
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

for (ever) {
echo "word of others"
}

:wink:
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:for (ever) {
echo "word of others"
}

:wink:
I sorry, what was that, I missed it. I was distracted by a reflection I saw in the water.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

The Mint Café

Post by npap »

Welcome to Wikimint!

Wikimint is your friend. Use it to your advantage!

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ity_Portal
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Good Morning

Post by antiquexray »

Zone wrote:Just out of curiosity, if im in a virtual lounge with a virtual cocktail at a virtual 9am, does this make me a virtual alcoholic?!?!?!?
Only if there is a virtual need.

PS I live in S. MN but spend a lot of time in OSH (EAA you know). Wife's a cheesehead, I'm a flatlander.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Zone wrote:LOL,
kewl . :)
I just moved from Eagan MN...and Im a die hard Bears fan, so i'm a flatlander sports fan. :)
Hmmmmm, does that mean there is a virtual treatment?!?!?! lol
I live outside Albert Lea, grew up 60 miles W of Chicago, and not only a Bear fan, but Cubs as well.

Virtual 12 step treatment (I prefer Stair Master).
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Wed May 02, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Hmmm ... OK, everybody arm yourselves with your alcoholic drink of choice.
Make sure you got at least 0.5 promilles in your blood stream and are unfit for driving.
Otherwise I'd have to count you as being sober with your intellect and good eductation
still in control over what you say or won't say.
Can't use that here :D

I need you people slightly drunk so you're tongue and fingers are faster than your brain
... But not too drunk please :twisted:

It's time for some philosophising 8)

... my drink of choice:
Glendronach, 15 years old single-malt Scottish Highland whisky ...

wonderful brown colour, sweet like caramel in the first second, it gives you a burning
hot sensation on your tongue immediately afterwards which quickly fades away just as swift
as it came, followed by a taste that gives you a slight hint of smoke going down your throat.

Wonderful.

A more professional review can be found here:
http://www.mcgees.org/malts/glendronach15.html

So what are we philosophising about?

Some days ago I got an invitation from a local small company. They want to hire me.

On one hand they'd be really really close to where I live. They're almost next door, only 5 minutes away (with the car).

But on the other hand they're really really small. Only 140 employees. Right now I work for a company with way over 100'000 employees.

Also, they were pretty much straightforward and told me that they cannot pay me what I earn now. It would be several thousand $ less per year than now. But they'd offer me far more possibilities to expand beyond my job, and the fact that they are so close to my home would mean I would have more spare time to spend with my little family (we have a new-born baby daughter since September 2006 ...)

On the other hand I'd have to give up my current job at a prestigious company of world-fame ... I joined in September 2000, so that makes almost a little more than 6 years of experience now. But then again there is this stupid trend that they move jobs away from "high income areas" such as Europe and North America to "cheap" regions such as Eastern Europe and especially India; whether I like it or not but there is the chance I might soon be yet another victim of a "workforce reduction". What then? I have a little daughter to feed! :?

What would you do?

Knowing that your job possibly might be axed anyway in the next few months would you "abandon ship" and go for that little company next-door, even if they can't pay as much as the previous employer, given they offer other compensations and other possibilities for you to advance your career?

Or would you sit and wait on that "Titanic", knowing full well that there is this big chunk of ice waiting in the dark waters ahead of you and that there won't be enough rescue boats when it happens ... but hey, you're at least loyal and you're really getting paid a really good sum of money way above average ... Abandoning the ship before it really hits the iceberg may have negative financial consequences ... and we all have a mortgage to pay, haven't we? :(

These questions are really bugging me now :?

Suggestions?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Long term stability is far more important than short term gains unless there are many short term gain opportunities there where you are.

If you know your company will be outsourcing, then your decision should be quite easy.

Calculate how much you spend on fuel per year and compare that to how much you would spend only driving 5 minutes. You might be surprised to find you might actually be ahead at the end of the day.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Fragadelic wrote:Calculate how much you spend on fuel per year and compare that to how much you would spend only driving 5 minutes. You might be surprised to find you might actually be ahead at the end of the day.
Totally valid points. So given that I will spend less on fuel I might actually save a lot of money nontheless. But this big-ass company I work for also offers the possibility to work from home from time to time. Wouldn't be able to do that in the new working place. But then again they're so close to my home so that I could be there in 5 minutes any time I wish.

Oh well. I had my interview today. No idea what they think about me. I think I was trying too hard to hide my nervousness and so they may have perceived me as ice-cold ...

What really got me puzzled is that they had me do a test on a computer: This stupid thing was asking me hundreds of silly questions (it took me 45 minutes to get to the end of that quiz!) such as :

* "I deeply care what others think about me!" (depends I guess?)
* "For getting compliment's I'd do anything necessary" (Depends whose compliments we are talking about ???)
* "I am better than others. Always!" (I sure as hell ain't!)
* "I am always right" (I wish!)
* "I know when I make mistakes, it's not necessary to remind me of it" (aren't we all human in some form? :wink: )

The funny point is this: You only could answer with these options:

++ strongly agree
+ agree
- disagree
- - strongly disagree

There was no "moderate" or "middle" answer. confused? They said they test "social skills" with that quiz. They want to know how "social" I am by asking me stupid questions but don't allow me to give moderate answers that would be socially acceptable, forcing me to extreme ends of hypothetical situations?? How "social" is that?? :shock:

Oh well ... If I don't get any phone calls anymore from them I suppose I won't need to worry anymore about this job ... :D

Return to “Open Chat”