The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

kenetics wrote:Maybe I should have referred just to my fellow Americans. How do you pronounce it?
Pronunciation: Say-Go-Lain"
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

npap wrote:
kenetics wrote:Maybe I should have referred just to my fellow Americans. How do you pronounce it?
Pronunciation: Say-Go-Lain"
Thanks npap. Is that a French name? I never heard that name before.

Groucho's quote of the day:
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hi Ken,
I don't know if that is a French name. Maybe Clem can tell us. But she was born in the French colony of Senegal.
BTW, where did you find Groucho's quotations. He was really one of the best comedians.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

npap wrote:BTW, where did you find Groucho's quotations. He was really one of the best comedians.
Google. They are all over the place.

Freedonia (my state of mind) is from the Marx Bros. movie "Duck Soup", which came out in 1933. Unfortunately is was a bomb at the time. It made fun of war when war was brewing, along with increased patriotism. Freedonia went to war with Sylvania because the Sylvanian ambassador called Groucho (Pres. of Freedonia) an "upstart". There are lots of good quotes from the movie.

The people of the city of Fredonia, New York protested the film because they feared that the similar-sounding Freedonia hurt their city's reputation. The Marx Brothers responded with, "Change the name of your town. It's hurting our picture."
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Test 1-2-3 ... does my signature show up here? :?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

scorp123 wrote:Test 1-2-3 ... does my signature show up here? :?
Indeed ... it does :D Oh well ... I was installing Solaris 10 and I got bored because it took so long :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Talking about privileges, how can I get a personal signature in this forum? :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:Talking about privileges, how can I get a personal signature in this forum? :)
Well ... don't you already have one? ... I mean all those confusing quotes from Plato and the constant mentioning of dogs which makes my Chinese neighbour say funny things as "good taste, but needs Chilli ... " (don't even ask .... :D ) ...

I downloaded one of NikSavel's signatures (he has a collection of those on his web site) and then fired up GIMP and modified one of them to something else .... 8)
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

npap, here's one for you. Although it's better suited for me, you can have it!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

kenetics wrote:npap, here's one for you. Although it's better suited for me, you can have it!
He he he ... I sure like that one :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Well,well! Hydra finally found a companion. Strange noises were heard last night in the Mint Lounge, and two bottles of VotkaMint were missing this morning! :)
The name of our visitor is Phobia. So from now on we will call the happy couple, Hydra-Phobia. :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:Hydra finally found a companion.
Glad to hear that this funny-looking poodle of your's found a cat to play with ... :D

But why this insistence on talking about figures from Greek history and ancient Greek mythology in a Linux forum?

I feel tempted to close this thread for being too off-topic ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

[
Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Maybe this should be called the "Off-Topic Cafe". Actually, it's the most popular thread. Lets just ban anything Greek (ha ha). I once had an unpleasant experience with some moussaka in a Greek restaurant. :x
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

kenetics wrote:Maybe this should be called the "Off-Topic Cafe". Actually, it's the most popular thread. Lets just ban anything Greek (ha ha). I once had an unpleasant experience with some moussaka in a Greek restaurant. :x
Try a Chinese restaurant next time, Ken. But be careful not to try any delicacy cooked
by Scorp's cook! :lol:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Last edited by npap on Tue May 01, 2007 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Well npap ... to make something of a start here: You're a bit older than most of us others, right? What drove you to Linux? What drove you to try something new ... given your age? Don't get me wrong here, but my experience is that the older people get the less they want to try something new, although I'd have to admit that there could always be examples of the contrary ... So why Linux for you? What do you do with it? What do you like about it and what is it what you don't like about it? ... :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

My dear friend Scorp,
I can't help but to resort to my philosophical nature in order to answer your most well-thought questions.

Age seems to be in the 'eye of the beholder', like beauty! :)
First, there is a biological age that has to do with time and your backache, and secondly the psychological age of a person.
One can be a young old-man or an old young-man. :) And what keeps an older fellow from growing older, is the constant renewal of his interests.

Having been employed in Electronics (started when transistors were unknown), I got involved, first in Ham Radio, and later in computers.
My son assembled my first PC out of left-over hardware, when he upgraded his computer, about six years ago.

Ever since, I have had several 'upgrades' from left-over stuff, and finally,
last year I bought a new one.
I struggled with windows, from Win 98 to XP. I had also at the same time heard about Linux. But it sounded like something the Gurus were involved
in. It was taboo for most people.

I was amazed at the ease and functionality of Linux when somebody gave me a set of three Mandrake CDs, which I installed in a second-hand Hdd.
And my son had been fiddling around with various Linux versions.
He helped too.

Well, I have tried almost all of the beta versions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu all this time.
Needless to say that I got 'hooked' on Linux ; so different, and yet easy for everybody.
At last, I didn't have to keep hunting for viruses, malware or underwear. :)

What do I do with it? Well, just what I'm doing now! It is so interactive, and interesting.
I like to feel useful and try to keep 'young at heart' by keeping up with evolution.
Linux is too good to be true! :) And you, younger people, should try your best to keep going.

So far, you guys in the Mint Team have done a commendable job.
From the beginning , I sensed that Linux Mint would clime up fast! :)
(Cassandra's prediction. A good one,too :lol: ).
What do I dislike in Linux? Are you pulling my leg, Scorp?

Cheers. Npap
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

That was was nice and a joy to read :D Finally something useful here :twisted: (I'm being sarcastic here .... oh damn, another Greek word!? :D ) ... I wish more "elderly people" (please note the quotation marks here ... ) would make the distinction between their biological age and the age in their minds. :D ... It's sometimes saddening how stubborn people can be and how they refuse to learn something new ... using their age as excuse ... :?

My brother is such an extreme example ... and he's only 32 !! :shock: "I'm too old to learn a new OS .... " .... sometimes this kind of argumentation leaves me speechless :?

Return to “Open Chat”