Have you ever

Chat about just about anything else

Have you ever

Postby karliet on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Hello,

Has anyone else been signed up by a family or friend to read a 378 page programming book? and had that family/friend not tell you untill the night before your supposed to do work?
I seem to be having this issue, does anyone know any tricks that will make it so i can maintain the information? im a very fast reader however to remember things i have to read slower (max of 2 pages per min(while usual = 4-5)) :(
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"
karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Have you ever

Postby xenopeek on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:21 am

Well, there are basically two approaches. And programming gives you a third:
1) If it is a real book, and it is yours, you can use a yellow marker to highlight the key parts of each page. To freshen your knowledge, you then just have to re-read the key parts of each page.
2) You can make a short (best if less than 1 page) summary after each chapter or other logical unit. So just read the entire chapter, then sit down and summarize it in your own words. Usually this helps you retain the knowledge better than with the first approach, though it takes a little more time.
3) Lastly, as this is a programming book, I usually do a variant of approach 2. I don't write a summary of the chapter, but make an short, working, piece of example code with comments showing the key features from the language introduced in that chapter (the example code can be a nonsense program). So when I then need to do some programming, I can just browse to my example file on hashes, for example, and copy & paste some working code from there that I wrote while reading the book.

The third approach really pays of if you learn multiple programming languages. You have to give less and less example code and comments to capture the knowledge from each chapter, as you already know key programming concepts from previous languages.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby karliet on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:35 am

Thank you, Vincent

il make the sample codes and have enough comments to kill a person....if reading could kill a person @_@
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"
karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:29 am

Whoever signed you up for this, don't forget to also sign that person up for something that requires study. Like Chinese or something :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby FreeImposter on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Or better yet, a dead language, like Gaelic, where they'll have a harder time putting it into daily practice. :)
~ Registered Linux User # 546048 ~
~ Linux Mint 11 (Katya) Main Edition x64 ~
~ Acer Aspire X3400G; AMD Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core; 4GB DDR3; 1TB HDD; NVIDIA GeForce 9200 ~

~ 'The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life, but size.' ~
FreeImposter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby det4100 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Níl an teanga Ghaelach marbh.

Tá brón orm, ní raibh mé in ann cabhrú liom féin.

:wink:
det4100

Running Mint Debian
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Open chat