Star Trek XI & Star Wars Screwed?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Star Trek XI & Star Wars Screwed?

Post by lakehousetech »

Ok all,
Anyone have an opinion about the upcoming Star Trek XI, which is being led by JJ Abrams? I'm hoping this can revive the franchise, but with Abram's inconsistent track record, and already poor casting choices I think it might mean the end.....Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Star Trek XI - Will It Damage the Franchise Further?

Post by lakehousetech »

I like Star Wars too, but of course episodes one and two bombed.....what can ya do?
kevmille

Post by kevmille »

Odd number Trek films do very well in the box office. It should be good :)

We hope :)
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

That may be so, and the even-only rule generally applies to the ones that were decent from a fans perspective. I never give the box office much credit anyway. Look what happened with Cloverfield.....did great at the box office, but most theaters cleared out halfway through the movie because it sucked so bad. It was for the dumb teenage crowd.
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

I'm treating this the way Obama's supporters are treating him - I want it to be good so badly I'm taking it on faith.

But the similarities are there- faith but no evidence.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Let's hope for both of them. Could things possibly get any worse than they are with the current president?
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

If you have to ask that question, you don't remember the 70's. But this is about Star Trek - I just hope these guys can carry off the role recreations they're being asked for. And as a long time military man, I know that it is unlikely that all those guys would have been at the Academy with Kirk, and then have been on his crew on the Enterprise. But maybe that isn't really the way this plot goes - hard to tell, as secretive as they've been.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Star Trek XI & Star Wars Screwed?

Post by lakehousetech »

I do remember the seventies, but thanks for the reminder! You are right about that. I just hope that it doesn't screw it up in the way that Lucas screwed up the first couple episodes of the prequels. Even though I enjoyed them, the first two really did bomb with all the crappy romance and winy future jedi loses his mom crap. Don't they understand that people want more SPACE BATTLES?! Arrgh!
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Two days and counting....I'm stoked.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek movie. The previews look good but I don't think it will follow the original series. Spock started out on the Enterprise with Captain Christopher Pike. The episode "The Cage", was the original pilot and was later used to make "The Menagerie". Kirk started out on another ship but I can't remember the details. My mother got me hooked on Star Trek when I was a kid.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

exploder wrote:I am looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek movie. The previews look good but I don't think it will follow the original series. Spock started out on the Enterprise with Captain Christopher Pike. The episode "The Cage", was the original pilot and was later used to make "The Menagerie". Kirk started out on another ship but I can't remember the details. My mother got me hooked on Star Trek when I was a kid.
I'm planning on catching it this Saturday. I'm fairly certain that they are sticking to canon, but we'll see. It's supposed to follow Kirk through the academy. Not sure when he ends up serving with Spock, but your definitely right about Spock serving under Chris Pike before Kirk. Original series is great. They have full episodes in HD on youtube now.
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

I'm old enough that I well remember the 1st episodes,......(and the re-runs,.....and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.).
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

nitehawk wrote:I'm old enough that I well remember the 1st episodes,......(and the re-runs,.....and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs,...and the re-runs etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.).
Yeah I always thought it was funny that it was canceled after three seasons, yet it's still in syndication to this day.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hmmm I think it came out last week. :)

I remember the 70s well. It's a prequel, this time. Dunno about that idea, they can only do that once I suppose.
Flogging a dead horse in my book. Yeah - I'll probably go see it though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Charles Olsen has released a special episode of mintCast (www.mintcast.org) with a review of the new Star Trek movie, mostly the characterisations, where he also doesn't give any spoilers.

p.s. I think it was only released in the last couple of days.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Star Trek XI & Star Wars

Post by lakehousetech »

I've delayed a bit, but will be checking it out this afternoon. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not thrilled about the 'teen' candy coating they've seemed to have given it with the choice of some of the actors, but hopefully that won't matter. It's the eleventh movie, so it's akin to the even-only rule. I think it's going to take more than a prequel to revive the franchise. They really need a fresh approach. Look what they did with Battlestar. That's done very well.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

I've been a scifi fan, trekkie, and now trekker all my life. Since the originally series premiered when I was in high school, you have an idea how long that has been. My wife and 2 boys saw the movie last night. I loved it. Die-hard trekker will appreciate some of the subtleties found within the film, but you don't have to be a trekker to enjoy it.

I do have a couple of criticisms:

1) The overuse of the computer-generated special effect with respects to the battle/fight scenes. While these scenes are an important part of the story, this story is written well enough that it doesn't need to use them as a crutch.

2) Kirk's cliff-hanger scenes got old.

Additionally, there are those who say that this prequel doesn't hold true to the original series with respect to the look of the Enterprise, the fate of Spock's mother, etc. However, I would refer those people to a brief comment made by the ambassador on the ice planet. I can't quote it, but his point was that when Nero first appeared he changed the timeline; a number of specific examples followed.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Just saw it today, really enjoyed it, it's a good film.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Saw it this past Saturday, and absolutely loved it! I'm glad that they used the alternative time-line to avoid issues with canon. I'm definitely buying this when it's released on blu-ray.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Ozz wrote:
That may be so, and the even-only rule generally applies to the ones that were decent from a fans perspective. I never give the box office much credit anyway. Look what happened with Cloverfield.....did great at the box office, but most theaters cleared out halfway through the movie because it sucked so bad. It was for the dumb teenage crowd.
OMG you are right! Cloverfield Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

Never in my life have I felt so much like walking out of the cinema. However, I kept saying to myself: "No this can't be, they can still save the fim, yes they can do it" but no, the film was the biggest pile of @!£$%^%("$^ that has ever been screened.

For the Info, I like independant movies, art movies, slush movies, classic movies, violent movies etc... so could not exactly describe myself as a difficult person.

So although I am not a fan of Star Trek, I don't think they can do worse than Cloverfield.
Speaking of Cloverfield, this article "11 confused Moments from Star Trek" gave me a good laugh....especially the point about the engine room. Warning [SPOILERS]....

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/11-things- ... r-trek.php

Return to “Open Chat”