Email service

Chat about just about anything else

Email service

Postby Luna on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi there, I'm wondering if anybody know of a good email service.

-That has pop3 access(Which is free to have pop3 access a lot of them charge for that).

-Isn't easy to spam such as hotmail for some reason my hotmail gets spam easy

-Doesn't fail to send emails(I had problems with Netscape email they say email successful then I found from the person never gets it. Now that AOL has taken over I still don't trust them).

-That isn't in beta.(That means GMAIL, I heard from my friend GMAIL has a lot of problems with its servers but who knows if anybody want to shed some light on this).

I use yahoo at the moment but if I want pop3 access I have to get the mail plus. I also want to try the SeaMonkey Suit and Thunderbird.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Email service

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:24 am

I use gmail all the time and never once had a problem.
Thunderbird is installed by default and if you want SeaMonkey Suite try here.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Luna on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Thank you merlwiz79, I been doing a lot of testing with GMAIL it seems very promising. I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I switch it to my main email service, see if I run to any problems using GMAIL. So far so good. 8)
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jbaerbock on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:14 am

Another service which is great is Inbox.com (though they have strange port requirements so depending on your port settings may or may not work). Otherwise AOL Email has free smtp and pop3 support. I just dont like to support AOL and I like to have all my emails onhand anywhere so I use Inbox.com's interface and just save my emails on their server (5GB storage).
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:11 am

Also a new email client has just came out.
It's beta but is based off of Thunderbird
Called Spicebird and you can try the beta here.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=8587
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jbaerbock on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:41 am

Sounds interesting but I have bad experiences with programs that integrate too many tools into one (Such as Opera). Also why I keep FireFox lite on the Add-Ons.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Luna on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:37 am

I'll stick with Gmail right now it hasn't given me any trouble. I wasn't so sure about inbox.com it didn't seem right from the way it looks. As for email client Spicebird looks nice but I'll wait till it goes out of non beta.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jbaerbock on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 am

Gmail is definitley awesome and it is made by Google which makes it reliable. What exactly did you find off about Inbox.com?
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 am

I've been running a hotmail account for about 5 years now as my primary email address and I might get 2 or 3 "spam" emails a week at most and those emails usually aren't even spam, they are just emails from sites I've signed up for mistakenly put in the spam folder. So really I don't think Hotmail is in any way contributing to your spam problems . I think its really down to the individual and how well they look after their email address. I.e what sites you sign up to using that email address and where you post your email address.

That said Gmail is probably the best free email out there at the moment.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Luna on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Jbaerbock I just had bad feeling about inbox.com when I just saw it. I kinda always go with my gut feeling.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat