Tired of Reinventing the Wheel

Chat about just about anything else

Tired of Reinventing the Wheel

Postby mister_mm on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 am

There is a program I have enjoyed using in linux over the years - TvTime. But it seems as though every new distro or every uprade to an older one makes it more difficult to configure. I ran TvTime in Mandrake 10.0, 10.2 and Mandriva 2006. Never could get it to work in Mandriva 2007. It worked in Ubuntu the last one was 7.04. In 7.10 I get a picture but can't change channels and I have no sound.
In Linux Mint I have no sound. Installed OSS and now I have no sound at all. I just can't understand why when an operating system is upgraded why that which used to be easy to get working now becomes a major headache. It's like reinventing the wheel and making it oval shaped. Sometimes newer isn't always better. Just better looking perhaps. Anyway the TV card I have been using for 5 years now works beautifully in WinXP. I hate to say this as I'll probably use Win more. I'm just tired of spending hours and hours trying to configure Linux. Time for a new hobby. Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux Mint beat me. And I am old and tired. mm
mister_mm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Tired of Reinventing the Wheel

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby yamawho on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:42 am

mister_mm wrote: I hate to say this as I'll probably use Win more. I'm just tired of spending hours and hours trying to configure Linux.

I've been there a few times myself.
I find it's better to go with the flow and not stress about things too much.
I triple boot on this system but I boot in Mint all the time.
I only boot to windows now and then to see if it still works :lol:

However, if you only have one system and don't have others to fall back on, I can understand the major headache.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mister_mm on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:19 am

Well I got a couple of understanding replies so I thought I'd come back here and upate. I got over my frustration and finally got TvTime working in Gutsy. It requires a modprobe to bttv but it works good. I get an I/O error message but Gutsy ignores it and brings TvTime up. Now I can download a torrent while I surf the web and watch a college hoops game or something on tv. Get the same error in Mint but no joy. Ill have to post to another section to see if anyone has had the same prob and maybe Ill find a solution. Good day to all. mm
mister_mm
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open chat