Recommendations for a secondary distro?

Chat about just about anything else

Re: Recommendations for a secondary distro?

Postby yamawho on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:15 am

Gave Fedora 8 live cd a go today ... very nice.
Was able to adjust my screen res without having to edit the xorg.conf and after a quick codec download, I was able to play MP3's. There was an issue installing Adobe flash but this is a documented issue which just requires a manual download of the rpm. It reminded me of Mandriva for some reason ... however most apps are not the same.

My Mandriva 2008 system is humming along nicely, I will continue to use it at work.

Mint 4 is the main os I use at home and is installed on my kitchen pc. I use it for email, internet, bit torrent with deluge and burn cd's and dvd's with brasero.

I will continue to use Xandros on my EeePc until an alternate distro becomes final. I need this system to be operational since we are leaving for a holiday in Australia at the end of next month and I plan to use it while we are traveling.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby adredz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 am

you should try fedora 8 and should hold on till their KDE 4.x version is released! it's exciting they're switching to KDE 4 as default :D
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Somewhere along the road you wrote
Grub is something I could use some help with. My understanding is that each distro may install its own custom grub, like Mint. Both made themselves the default and applied their branding. Is it easy to make my own grub, or determine which I prefer?

About right (BTW don't use a separate boot partition if you intend to have a few distros - you can't share it)
Each distro installs its own /boot and thus grub. A well behaved distro (and in my experience there are not many outside the Ubuntu family in this respect) lists all the other distros too.
Now, you can use, say, Min's grub and have a default boot into Fedora or PCLOS or....
To understand this you need to know a bit about grub
It's divided into stage 1, 1.5 and 2
Stage one must (well you could chainload from something else) be in the MBR and can refer to any grub you find on the disk... (and chainload Windows)
And MBR is just the first 512 bytes of the disk...
This is what you choose when you repair grub
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
Then you can edit menu.lst to your liking and get the Mint grub booting something else by default
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Foomandoonian on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the Grub info Husse. That's just what I need to get started :)
foomandoonian.net: My tumblelog
'from freedom came elephants'
Foomandoonian
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fred on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Foomandoonian,

The discussion in the latter part of this thread might also be somewhat helpful with grub.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9354&start=15&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fred+chainloader

Enjoy, :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 pm

One last question:

muskratmx wrote:One last tidbit, in anther thread there was a hint that linuxmint is thinking about a debian based version.

My understanding was that Mint is an offshoot of Ubuntu, which is itself based on Debian. Doesn't that make Mint Debian based? :?

Yes and no;

Ubuntu is based on debian, meaning they use the debian boot strap method, the .deb/apt-get paackage management system, and most of the debian packages can be installed into ubuntu. BUT, ubuntu runs a different kernel, and the kernel is the OS in any distro including MSwindoz. Also ubuntu runs a lot of drivers/modules which aren't available in debian due to the GNU resrictions, I can't expond on that because it's over me head.

One link any person should have handy when using Grub is the Grub manual. http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html . Another thing Grub is an OS unto it's self, having a kernel of it's own. So when you install a distro, and it installs grub and you might find the limitations different one from another. They are all getting frame buffers support lately but a couple of years ago, some had it, some didn't.

Also explore the grub shell a little, it's interesting. To enter the grub shell just type "grub" and your into another little OS inside your linux box. Grub has all it's own commands not linux commands. to leave just type "quit".
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Previous

Return to Open chat