Quite Impressed with Linux Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kevmille

Quite Impressed with Linux Mint

Post by kevmille »

I just happened to find Linux Mint quite by accident last weekend.

Trying to find a working Linux distro for the Thinkpad T60 can be a bit daunting. I love Gentoo but I prefer to have it running on a desktop. Configurations are much easier there.

When I installed Linux Mint this morning, I was amazed at how fast it booted up. Very comparable to Gentoo's boot up on my Thinkpad. I am not a Gnome fan but I got to tell you, Linux Mint's GUI is quite nice. Sound, wireless, etc., all worked out of the box (I never got wifi to work on Gentoo).

Linux Mint's Software Portal is amazing. Quite similar to PC-BSD's PBI in one way. From my early impressions, Linux Mint will be to Ubuntu/Debian as PC-BSD will be to FreeBSD. Quite awesome!!!

I teach Linux to my students here in Vietnam. In the past we have been using PCLinuxOS but as of late, they have been quite unhappy with PCLOS. I was nearly about to go with Kubuntu but now I think Linux Mint may be the better option. Lots of nice eye candy which makes kids happy :D If things go right, I will be able to do a full install on the desktops in my computer lab. If not, then I will have to install it on my desktop and just let students SSH to my computer for their projects.
(IT staff are a bit inept).

Overall, I think this will be a keeper for me on my Thinkpad. Will start to promote it here in Vietnam. I am going to see if I can use it as a server to and possibly recommend it to my client. Maybe even get it localized into the Vietnamese language.

Keep up the good work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Quite Impressed with Linux Mint

Post by Husse »

Thanks for kind words and welcome
kevmille

Re: Quite Impressed with Linux Mint

Post by kevmille »

No problem. Linux Mint is currently being mirrored on the Vietnam BSD/Linux Mirror:

[url]ftp://ftp.indochinalinux.com/LinuxMint/[/url]

We will contact Linux Mint when it is finished mirroring.

Should be finished mirroring by the end of the weekend. I am trying to get some of my students interested in Linux Mint. I think I will replace PC-Linux with Linux Mint. So far everything is so good.

Return to “Open Chat”