What oses yall running?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Herpy

What oses yall running?

Post by Herpy »

Random question out of bordom, What oses are yall running? If Linux mint then what version, Desktop enviroment, ect. Right now my cpu is duel booting Vector Linux 7 and Linux Mint 12 LXDE with Fluxbox over it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: What oses yall running?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Running Windows 7 dual-booted with Mint 9 Isadora (LTS)...I used to have Windows Vista as well (triple-booted) but I got rid of it because Halo 2 sucked after I finished the game (Halo 2 has a low replay value in my opinion).

I mainly use Mint 9 (90% of the time) because as a college student, distractions like games don't help, and with Windows, that definitely is an issue :lol: Mint helps me get work done faster, plus, it's also my entertainment--whenever I get bored, I usually look up terminal commands, cool Linux programs, or post on the forums (for example, right now :roll: ). So yeah, Windows for games, and Linux for work related stuff + curiosity + "just for fun." I use Gnome most of the time, with Compiz and 3D effects on full blast, but, my graphics card busted so currently I'm using LXDE (and it STILL looks EPIC!) with xcompmgr and transparency stuff on. Most likely getting my gfx card back from EVGA next week (I have a 2 year warranty on my GT 430, so all is well!). I also use Fluxbox sometimes, but I think it looks crappy (no offense, but we all have different opinions, right?). I prefer Openbox to Fluxbox.
Herpy

Post by Herpy »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Running Windows 7 dual-booted with Mint 9 Isadora (LTS)...I used to have Windows Vista as well (triple-booted) but I got rid of it because Halo 2 sucked after I finished the game (Halo 2 has a low replay value in my opinion).

I mainly use Mint 9 (90% of the time) because as a college student, distractions like games don't help, and with Windows, that definitely is an issue :lol: Mint helps me get work done faster, plus, it's also my entertainment--whenever I get bored, I usually look up terminal commands, cool Linux programs, or post on the forums (for example, right now :roll: ). So yeah, Windows for games, and Linux for work related stuff + curiosity + "just for fun." I use Gnome most of the time, with Compiz and 3D effects on full blast, but, my graphics card busted so currently I'm using LXDE (and it STILL looks EPIC!) with xcompmgr and transparency stuff on. Most likely getting my gfx card back from EVGA next week (I have a 2 year warranty on my GT 430, so all is well!). I also use Fluxbox sometimes, but I think it looks crappy (no offense, but we all have different opinions, right?). I prefer Openbox to Fluxbox.
Fluxbox crappy? Now I'm hurt! I'm only kidding! I do like openbox, though Linux Mint 12 is giving me problems using fluxbox like the whole flash settings thing being unclickable. Might downgrade to Mint 10 or 9.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Linux Mint 12 (Cinnamon desktop) and Windows 7 dual boot. Have Mint 11 and Android 4.0 ICS virtualboxes too.
akavir

Post by akavir »

Linux Mint 12 Cairo-dock session+KXStudio
Windows 7

Now with wine 1.4, all my regular applications finally work great in Linux, so the only thing Windows is there for is a very few games. Many of my games like Skyrim and Fallout-New Vegas are working beautifully with Wine! Windows, your days are numbered on my system!
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

Skyrim works in Wine now? Sweet! I have been playing the PS3 version but if it works in WIne(I made the leap into pure Linux, no M$ at all) I can finally get rid of PS3 and use the extra cash to build me a desktop
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

#1 - LMDE 64-bit pointing to Debian Testing. This is my general purpose OS. Installed this back in August using the 201104 ISO. Started off with Xfce but later switched to Gnome Shell after giving it a try. I should mention this now. I like Gnome Shell. It's not perfect in any shape or form, but I think the core concept, having an overlay triggered by a hotspot instead of a traditional window list is a winner. I know a lot of people won't agree with me there! I think there's advantages and disadvantages with both really. I use the nouveau driver along with it's experimental 3D support. I've found the 'experimental' driver to be much more stable than the Nvidia one on my GTX 260. The OS is as solid as a rock, and I haven't had any breakages in months. I do a lot of system spring cleaning though so that could have something to do with it. I'm actually getting bored because there's nothing fun happening, so I'm considering moving up to Sid once Testing hits the deep freeze in June! :twisted:

#2 - Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I use this one for my games. I have to say though, I haven't tried using Wine since back when it had just reached version 1.0, so maybe I should have another go if it's working much better these days. I remember back then I was trying to play Team Fortress 2 with Wine and it would only run if I dropped DirectX back to 8.1, and even then it would only run about half as fast as under Windows with a few glitches here and there. It was playable although the lack of a working killcam put me at a bit of a disadvantage! Anyway, I installed Windows 7 just after it was released because I was happy with the beta and the RC. The system originally had Vista on it which I installed after I built it. There will probably be a few people cringing at that, and there will probably be people wondering why I didn't just put XP on it at first. I was a student at the time though so I could grab it from MSDN and it would be no loss if it didn't work properly. Anyway, it turned out that Vista ran so well that I decided to keep it installed. I much preferred the interface and its other new features to XP. Of course, Linux already had those features years before! Still, there were times when I had to use Windows so stuff such as merge folders in Vista was a lifesaver. Windows 7 actually doesn't feel any faster on this system, probably because it could already handle the extra overhead with Vista. So yeah, I'm one of those rare people who uses Linux and yet still defends Vista! :mrgreen:
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

On desktop, Mint 12 Main Edition both 32 and 64 bit versions, Mint 12 KDE, and several alpha and beta versions, along with the RC, of SolusOS.

On laptop, Mint 11Main Edition, Mint 12 LXDE, SolusOS RC, Saline, and Aptosid.

On netbook, Mint 9 LXDE, Bohdi, Crunchbang, and SolusOS beta 2
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Main desktop Mint 9 Gnome with compiz and all the nifty cube stuff, (Boy, gonna miss this one when it's time to update.)
Mint 12 Cinnamon
LMDE Gnome Update pack 3 with all the compiz bells and whistles. (Putting off update 4 for now.)
Very old Lappy SolusOS RC 1
Old Lappy hooked to the TV with Win/XP for netflicks and Mint 12 Cinnamon
Vista/Mint 9 Gnome Compiz for my son. Vista for games, Mint 9 for school
Ancient Toshiba Satellite 1555CDS running Puppy 5.1
Slab of granite running hammer and chisel .01 :lol:
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Myself

Post by Myself »

I now use LMDE Xfce 64 everyday after having tried 3 to 4 different distributions per day over three weeks to find a replacement for a PCLinuxOS 2010 E17. I had intended to install LinuxMint but while trying PCLOS it installed automatically after formatting of the drive. I expect it to ask to proceed at which point I would have stopped and then loaded LinuxMint. I did actually get to like PCLOS. As a previous Windows user PCLOS allowed the double clicking on .sh files to run programs. I cannot figure out how to set-up the same facility in LinuxMint DE or LinuxMint 12. I have spent hours searching on-line for info on how to do this or how to add as an application to the Menu.

Having received Windows (slow) Vista 32bit with my laptop, which I purchased just at the time of the release of Windows 7. I was promised Windows 7 but never managing to be able to get the free upgrade.

I installed PCLOS just before having to unexpectedly go to hospital. I spent 9 long months in hospital and when I got out I was unable to update PCLOS, or install most programs, as PCLOS had changed from rpm to apt updates but had only made the AptUpdate program available for 6 months.

Now that I finally have LinuxMint Xfce installed I prefer it. I only use slow Vista when I accidentally unplug a USB drive and on re-plugging it in LinuxMint DE tells me it cannot mount the drive. I reboot, start slow Vista (it takes about 10 minutes to be usable) plug the drive in and Vista see it and allows access. Reboot and LinuxMint then can mount the drive again. LinuxMint DE Xfce is just so nice and fast to use ... ...except for gEdit which takes ages to open and ages to make the first save but is fine after that.

I have tried LinuxMint 12 Gnome but the Gnome interface is so distracting, frustrating, and for me just so time wasting. I hate the fact that I cannot minimise the bottom shelf by right clicking to get settings as with previous LinuxMint Ubuntu releases. I hate that I cannot get rid to the top shelf or even minimise it. Space is at a premium on my laptop screen and my eyesight is not the best. I also hate the fact that I cannot see the full description for the application icons on the Gnome dropdown menu. I expected that the descriptions would pop-up as I hovered the mouse over them but it doesn't happen.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Signature says it all :wink:

Quad boot on desktop
1. LMDE-XFCE-"SID"
2. LMDE- Shell/Cin.-"SID"
3. LMDE-Gnome2.3-"Stable-Debian Backports"
(all-64bit-nvidia295-liquorix 3.2)
4. SolusOS RC1
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

To many!

I like to try new distros to see what is available so I test a lot of distros and have many installed on computers and VM's. The most recent are Lubuntu and Ubuntu 12.04 Beta1, SolusOS RC1, AntiX M12 test 2, Fedora 17 Alpha 2, Backtrack 5 R2 and a few other small distros.

To avoid confusion and extra work with so many distros and DE/WM I decided (around Mint 7/8) to use the main Linux Mint distro or a lighter version (LXDE) as standard so the distros I use more are: Mint 9 LTS, Mint 12 Cinnamon and Mint 12/11/10 LXDE. Also use Debian, Crunchbang i686 (non-pae), AntiX i486 and Puppy 4.3.1 on slower computers or in computers without support for i686 or pae.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Ikey wrote:*beams at all the SolusOS users*

*disappears*
:lol: :lol: 8) :mrgreen:
Hey Ikey, can I use your Solusos kernel in Mint? Would that cut down the memory usage of Mint? (I noticed your Gnome version uses like 120Mb RAM or something at idle).
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Ok, no problem 8)
It's cool that its built from the ground up, I need to try out debian and solusos then :lol: Mint, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE is all I've used (and a bit of SliTaz here and there).
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Ikey wrote:
sagirfahmid3 wrote:...If you want some real experience I personally recommend Slackware. Once you get used to it, it's an absolute beauty.
+1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LM11 GNOME + LM12 Cinnamon + LMDE Xfce on desktop (and loads more through VirtualBox :D)
Linux Mint "something" will go on laptop (Oh boy, it is taking a long time to decide which laptop to buy... Don't want glossy... Don't want noisy... Afraid of buying something that will only run Windows :()
OpenBSD on firewall/shell server
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

SalineOS 1.6 kernel 2.6.32-5 Xfce AMD64 Debian Squeeze
SolusOS RC-1 Kernel 3.0.0 Solusos x686 Gnome 2.3 Debian Squeeze
PC/OS OS4Workstation12 kernel 3.0.0-16-generic Xfce AMD64 Xubuntu 11.10
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

Mint 12 Cinnamon on laptop
Mint 9 LXDE and Bohdi on one desktop
Ubuntu LTS on other
OH so many more through VM and on LiveCD, though have not tried SolusOS yet. I do believe I will have to try it

AS for Slackware...I understand Slack and Arch are the two most recommended distros in terms of truly understanding the Linux OS and how it is built. Have not delved deeply into either one of those but I just may start very soon
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Dual booting Arch Linux and SolusOS. :)

I use Arch for daily use and I develop on SolusOS, so gotta have that on my machines. :D
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

On the daily box I have.
SolusOS which I really like,
XP, Just for a couple of games.
Debian squeeze because it just works so well.
Normally I would have at least one or two versions of Mint but I just replaced a drive so things arn't back to normal yet. Enjoy

Return to “Open Chat”