Linux and the desktop

Chat about just about anything else

Linux and the desktop

Postby mister_mm on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:01 pm

I think linux is still a far cry away from being an everyday system for the average user. It remains a hobbyist system that requires constant tweaks to accomplish mundane tasks. Case in point: I have a cousin that is a "Mac Addict". He recently accquired a pc from someone. He asked me about installing linux on this box. I told him he wouldn't like it as he is used to a system that just works. As an example I tried to burn a cd in Linux Mint. Several attempts only provided a message that I needed to insert a blank disc. I tried three discs from three different manufacturers. All this to no avail. I then rebooted into - and i hate to say this - windows opened "Image Burn" and three clicks later I had a copy of Slax Linux burned to cd. Untill simple tasks like this are just clicks away linux will remain a hobbyists operating system. Happy tweaking to all my linux freinds. mm
mister_mm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux and the desktop

Postby muskratmx on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:53 pm

My Linux Mint bruns cds with just a few clicks. Your burner software probably isn't configured correctly.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Burning discs is usually fine, you are obviously one of the unlucky few who had an issue with your particular set of hardware.

I would say however that I agree with your sentiments. Linux is about 3-5 years away from being something you can recommend to anyone, both in terms of hardware support and software which is suitable for all audiences. But the good news is once it reaches that point open source has won. Never again will proprietary software create a monopoly or promote closed standards. There will be no turning back! :wink:
Last edited by belovedmonster on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby deadguy on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 pm

hobbyists operating system?
don't know about that!
I had way more headaches with windows than with mint :D
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:06 pm

I burn disks with Brasero and have never had a problem. K3b has given me loads of problems though. What application were you using?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby muskratmx on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:51 pm

deadguy wrote:hobbyists operating system?
don't know about that!
I had way more headaches with windows than with mint :D

I second that, 500%!!!!!!!!
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rustyman99 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:25 pm

I agree with the OP
Apps like Ardour are just for hobbyists and their hobby OS...

/sarcasm off
rustyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:03 pm

I used to repair broken windows machines - headache!
Broken Linux system - rarely, and if so the solution is probably in the forums!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:51 am

mister_mm,

For all of you that think Windows is so good "out of the box," I have a little experiment for you.

Go down to your local computer store and buy a copy of Windows XP in the box. Also, while you are there, purchase a copy of Microsoft Office. Come back home with your approximately $500 worth of software and do a clean install of both on the computer of your choice.

After you have completed this most enjoyable task, create a Word document that contains your social security number, passport number, or other nationally recognized id number. Throw in a few credit card numbers, expiration dates, and pin numbers. While you are at it, a bank account number or two, with pin numbers would be a nice touch too. Don't forget to include the bank names, country and routing numbers too. Be sure to also include your full name, date of birth, address, telephone number, and mother's maiden name.

Now, connect to the internet continuously for 48 hours. Check your e-mail, and surf the web as you normally would. Visit any chat rooms or socializing sites, ie facebook, etc., you usually go to. Download from Utube, music sites or other sites you enjoy. In general, do what you usually do.

At the end of that 48 house, pull the plug out of the wall, whether your system is still functional or not.

Now, sit down in your easy chair and wait for the fireworks to begin! It will be a real learning experience.

Enjoy, :-)

Fred

EDIT: By-the-way, after about six months goes by, try to find a friend that will let you use their computer and internet connection. Please return here and tell us again how good Windows is "out of the box." :-)
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Oh fred; you hit the nail right on the head, I just hope he doesn't try that!

One exercise I always sudjest is take a blank drive, install it in your box of choice. Then with only two disk, #1 winxp, #2 LinuxMint (or your live cd of choice), install Windoz (no cheating now), no using driver disks, extra software disk, or downloading any other packages. Also no fair using a windoz recovery disk. Just try and complete a full day of use with that box, there won't be enough software there to even make that box functional. Not to mention it takes upwards of an hour to do with multiple reboots.

Then install the Live CD, once again, no cheating just use the one disk, and use the box for a day, It'll probably have enough software and drive all your hardware, and you won't need to add anything for several days. Not to mention, it takes only one reboot and less than 20 minutes.

That's the trouble with most Windoz verses Linux comparions, they are comparing a factory install, or a recover disk install against a generic linux install disk. They fail to give credit for the fact that it took hundreds of man hours for that setup to be created so that they just point and click, with that recovery disk.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mister_mm on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm

I didn't pay for windows. I got it from a torrent with a good crack. Installed it to several drives and they are all humming along. My burning program is free. Image Burn. I wouldn't use Micro$soft office. Open Office is portable. Is Star Office still out there? Maybe I'll try Brasero because CD/DVD creator just doesn't work. I have been using Linux from Mandrade 7,2 on. Never had probs like i have now with Linux. Same system that I built 5 years ago. Neither Mint nor Ubuntu will mount my optical drives. Got tired of typing unmount..mount. Unless u enjoy tweaking your system at the CLI a lot I just would not advise the average user to try Linux. This is not intended by me as a Winblows vs Linux debate. It is only the rambling of a man that just wishes this would work without hassles is all. Anywho I shall continue banging away on my keyboard in a terminal trying to get things sorted out. mm
mister_mm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:03 pm

mister_mm,

Well sir, let's see what we can do about that little problem.

After you are on the desk top, what happens when you try to use the optical drive? Warning message? If so, what?

If you would like to post a copy of your /etc/fstab and a screen shot of Gparted opened, (large please... old eyes), i'll be happy to look at it for you. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Unless u enjoy tweaking your system at the CLI a lot I just would not advise the average user to try Linux.

The term Linux is the kernel, it in and of it's self doesn't even have a CLI, one must use GNU utilities to get a CLI or GUI. Windows trem refers to the kernel with all it's GUI utilities combined. So advising an average user to try Linux isn't advisable. But one might advice an average user to try Debian, Suse, LinuxMint, or any number of other distros.

Most late model Distros have very little NEED to drop into the CLI. One thing I always do before advising my friends to use Linux/GNU is to try some flavor of live CD and see what problems they might have with their hardware. When I first made the switch, I found I had some hardware that was unfriendly to the Linux community. Since then I only acquire hardware that I know will play nice with my choice of OS. Now a days I have very little problems with any given distro and my hardware.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat