Mint 17.1 Mate thinks my TV is 42" when its really 32"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
specimen65

Mint 17.1 Mate thinks my TV is 42" when its really 32"

Post by specimen65 »

Am trying to use my HP Pavillion D5 to stream via HDMI to my Toshiba 32a500 32". I've been trying to duplicate displays and it almost works.

The install of Mint went 100% and it detected the 1280x800 resolution perfectly. However when I try to duplicate this to the TV, the resolution changes to 1024x768, which isn't bad on the TV, but still less than ideal as its a bit stretched.

The issue with that is that although the TV is showing perfectly without any overscan etc, the notebook now has a screen resolution that's too small side-to-side (ie desktop/toolbar etc now doesn't fill the screen from side to side, only top-to-bottom)

One thing I found is that if I tried to set the resolution for the notebook and TV, I had no problem using the 1280x800 for the notebook, but every available option I tried for the TV didn't work. What happened is that the TV just showed the background wallpaper, but no toolbars or desktop icons etc. (and this is from a fresh install I did yesterday aft)

So, I am wondering - is this happening because Mint thinks my TV is 42" when its really 32"? If so, how can I tell it what the right screen size is?

Note: ideally I want the notebook to have 1280x800 resolution and the 32" flatscreen tv 1360
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 17.1 Mate thinks my TV is 42" when its really 32"

Post by roblm »

You need to post some information first. Use these commands in the Terminal:

1. inxi -Fx
2. xrandr

3. Check if there is an xorg.conf file by using this command, and post the contents:

Code: Select all

pluma /etc/X11/xorg.conf
4. Then use this command to open the “Xorg.0.log” file:

pluma /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Press Ctrl+A to select the entire file contents. Right click on the screen and select “Copy”. Don't save it to a file. Open the Mint Forum reply window and select “Code
in the menu. Paste the copied lines between the two code words. If you have problems posting that long file, then upload it to pastebin.com by using this command:

pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log	

Post the URL link that displays in the Terminal window. For Mint 17 users, first install pastebinit with this command:

sudo apt-get install pastebinit
Then upload the file with this command:

pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 17.1 Mate thinks my TV is 42" when its really 32"

Post by Laugh2 »

Specimen65, my system behaves like yours. I'm pretty sure there are 2 separate issues here:

1) LM17.1 identifies my Sony 32" as a Sony 72". I think this is because the manufacturer uses common components. Windows Vista identifies it as simply Sony TV. It's not a problem as the resolutions and everything else works fine.

2) Showing the same image in both monitors may only be possible at resolutions common to both screens. It is annoying when connecting to projectors for presentations or similar. I haven't found a way around this. Use extended desktop when using multiple monitors rather than the same image in both screens.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”