Brightness laptopscreen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mobibike

Re: Brightness laptopscreen

Post by mobibike »

Pedrinho wrote:Did you recevie my e-mail?
Yesterday (may 30) I sent you an e-mail with a possible solution for your request. I didn't post a reply because of a restriction of my office's lan policy rules.
Anyway, here are the steps that you could try to fix this issue:

1 - Open terminal (as a superuser) and type: gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
2 - In the text file that opens, find the line which says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and, inbetween the "", insert the words "acpi_backlight=vendor" (the line will be as follows: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"), save and close the file.
3 - Back again in the terminal session, type: sudo update-grub
4 - Reboot.
Hope this can solve your problem.
Thank you!
I tried a slight modification to this, and have used it sucsessfully in Mint 13, 14, 15 XFCE and now in Mint 16 Cinnamon.
I used sudo or (su -) gedit /etc/default/grub and insert in between the quotes.

Code: Select all

acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux
(The addition is the acpi_osi=Linux), My keyboard controls work for screen brightness now as does the slider bar also under "Screensaver & Lock Settings". --(neither worked before) HP dv7 6000 (series) Laptop Intel Video.
bloodcage

Re: Brightness laptopscreen

Post by bloodcage »

For all of you running a Laptop with NVIDIA Card and who are still not able to get the f* function keys for brightness to work, just follow the steps below. It worked very well for my system (Samsung q45, Intel Dualcore T7100 @ 1,8Ghz , Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 512) running Linux Mint 17.

In command line, type in:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You will have to enter your root password.

Now, you should see:

VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

If you see nothing, just enter all the lines above and follow up with the next step below

Under the VendorName Line, add the following:

Now, save and reboot. Check your brightness controls, and hopefully this fixed things.

I've tried so many solutions out of the net and nothing had helped me until I came to this solution. But be aware that these steps only working for NVIDIA Grafics and you must have chosen the NVIDIA Driver in your system in "Administration -> Driver Manager".

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”