Nadia installed - random graphic glitches [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joshuar9476

Nadia installed - random graphic glitches [solved]

Post by joshuar9476 »

i installed the Cinnamon x64 Nadia this evening. Once everything was up and running I started to notice that shadows were pixelated, chunks of graphics and the the menu were missing, etc. My computer is a Pavilion g7 with AMD A6 with the Radeon 6520G. Everything was fine on Mint 13 and the daily Cinnamon. ANy ideas please?

edit: through another post I was finally able to find the place where you could change radeon drivers. It's now under software sources / additional drivers tab. I switched to the proprietary drivers and things have been smooth.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abSoRb

Re: Nadia installed - random graphic glitches [solved]

Post by abSoRb »

Had same exact issue with the Radeon HD 6520G on an Asus A53Z laptop.
Install was Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) Cinnamon 64-bit.

Under Software Sources > Additonal Drivers there were 3 options...

1-Using X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper from xserver-xorg-video-ati (open source, tested)
2-Using Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators from fglrx (proprietary)
3-Using Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators from fglrx-updates (proprietary)

The first option was initially selected so I decided to try option 2. This FIXED the issue and everything was running smoothly. Mind you, occasionally with the first option the screen might go black randomly and the only way to fix it was to restart the computer. This issue is gone too.

I haven't tried the 3rd option yet and I am kind of worried to do so because some people have said that these 'updated proprietary' drivers cause issues sometimes, is there a way to check for this or what's the deal? Should I give it a go and hope for the best? Suggestions please!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”