Cinnamon Desktop Won't Load

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cinnamon Desktop Won't Load

Postby DEG on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:45 pm

I installed LM14 Yesterday on 2 PCs and one of them (with an Intel Graphics card) had very high CPU usage on the Cinnamon process. When I logged out and in again the CPU usage would be fine but my Desktop Session changed to what I think may be a 'Compatibility Mode' Cinnamon desktop. The only way I can get the correct Cinnamon Desktop is by selecting Cinnamon 2D at the logon screen, and this introduces the CPU issue.

I found a related bug in the LM14 realease notes, but this was supposed to have been resolved with an upgrade to MDM 1.0.8. The bug record https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1074779 is now marked as 'Fix Released'.

I have now updated to MDM 1.0.8 but the issue is still there. Now when I logon each time the normal Cinnamon desktop still doesn't appear. I think I may be seeing the compatibility mode desktop because .....

I then tried installing LM13 and when I booted from the DVD there was just a Blue Screen. The menu would appear but when I selected a menu item a blue window appeared with a thick fuzzy white border. I was unable to see any contents within the windows so couldn't even start the Installation of LM. I tried rebooting from the DVD but this time selected 'Compatibility' Mode. When it booted the desktop loaded but it was the same desktop I am seeing when I boot into LM14 !!

This would look to me like an issue with the Display Driver. Is there anything further I could try to resolve this? I would really love to be able to use LM rather than going back to Windows or another Linux Distro. I did use Ubuntu about a year ago on the same PC without any issues.
DEG
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Won't Load

Postby DEG on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:45 am

Anyone got any idea on this? I have now tried the Mate desktop and it isn't working properly (does not display the same menu icons etc that I can see others have in LM14). On both there are no errors and everything works, but I know it is not using the correct desktop.

I really want to keep using LM but I have searched everywhere and can't find any relevant solutions.

Output from lspci:

$ lspci -v -s `lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}'`
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company D530 sff(dc578av)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at fc400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
I/O ports at 14e0 [size=8]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: intelfb, i915
DEG
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors