Display Problem on HDTV

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jereece

Display Problem on HDTV

Post by jereece »

I have a small desktop computer connected to my 42" Phillips HDTV via HDMI cable. I installed Linux Mint 14 Mate. The default resolution the setup selected is 1920 X 1080. This resolution has the outer 5% or so of the desktop screen off the screen. So about 5% of the outer edge of the desktop is not visible. This makes the bottom menu bar off screen. I can bring the mouse pointer down off screen and click around to get to the menu button but I can't see it at all.

I tried all the other resolutions because this resolution was too small for my old eyes anyway. However none of the other resolutions came close to filling the screen. Mint is detecting my monitor as a 32" Phillips instead of a 42" Phillips, so this may be the problem. Under "Monitors" I clicked on "Detect Monitors" but nothing happened. I looked around the Mint settings but did not see anything that looked like it would help. I searched this forum for HDTV and it came up blank.

I used to use Ubuntu on this computer / TV with no problems. Is there a simple fix for my problem or do I just need to go back to Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Display Problem on HDTV

Post by cwsnyder »

It is probably a setting on your TV rather than a setting in Mint which is causing the problem. Check your controls/instructions for your TV.
jereece

Post by jereece »

I went into the TV settings for picture format and selected "unscaled". That helped some. Now I can see about half if the menu at the bottom. It's not perfect but can live with it. However the resolution still makes the text and icons too small for me to read comfortably. Again I tried various resolutions but none fill the screen. I changed the default font size to 16 but that did not affect anything. I did not see an option to make the buttons and text larger. So how can I get everything bigger so I can read it?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Can you set your display in the computer to 1600x1024 or 1366x768? Or do those not fill the screen? If they don't fill the screen, have you tried the various TV setting to see if you can get them to fill the screen?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”