ATI Radeon 5450 drivers on Mint14 Cinnamon

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

ATI Radeon 5450 drivers on Mint14 Cinnamon

Postby iffee82 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 am

Dear Mint guys

I just installed mint Nadia (14) 64 bit Cinnamon on Desktop PC. I have ATI R5450 MD512H as graphics card. I am using HDMI output form the graphics card to my TV. The display looks fine with the default driver installed but HDMI is not giving any sound output. In the sound options, output device it shows Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 series] Digital Stero HD. But I hear no actual sound from any application. When I connect a seperate analogue sound cable, and choose from sound options the analogue output that works for sound. But I would like to have display and sound both through the HDMI cable.

I tried to search, but I could not find a solution and being a noob at linux its a bit difficult for me. I had previously installed ubuntu 12.10 and managed to install latest proprietery drivers with the help of a friend and HDMI sound was working but displayed fonts looked bad and unity failed to load now and then and on top i didn't like that.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated so my PC starts running perfectly.

Thanks in advance.
I posted earlier, probably in wrong section, so I remade this post and will delete the old one.
iffee82
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI Radeon 5450 drivers on Mint14 Cinnamon

Postby bigj231 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 pm

You could try installing the proprietary drivers using the "Additional Drivers" application. It will install the package maintainer's version, so it won't be the latest version, but I think it's been verified to work on most configurations. If it doesn't work, then there are tutorials on installing the latest driver from ATI. Most Ubuntu tutorials will work fine with Mint.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ATI Radeon 5450 drivers on Mint14 Cinnamon

Postby iffee82 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 am

I found the way to install proprietery ATI drivers from additional drivers menu.

After it did install, I got the sound from HDMI but again, the fonts on the screen look fuzzy/out of focus. When I switch back to default drivers, one can clearly see the difference in display, is much clearer, but no sound again.

Well for the sake of clarity of text on screen, I prefer default drivers, I plugged the analog sound cable back in. Only thing is , I cant play flash games from facebook, they tend to really jam the system.

Regards
Iffee
iffee82
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors