NVIDIA and LM splash screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aegeas

NVIDIA and LM splash screen

Post by aegeas »

My PC is equipped with an NVIDIA GT-430, if I install any version of nvidia drivers I lose the original LM splash screen. Can anyone tell me how I can bring back the LM splash screen, after installing nvidia drivers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: NVIDIA and LM splash screen

Post by Orbmiser »

I am using default open drivers with Ati 4350 on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon. Live CD had splash but none after installing.
Asked about getting back splash with no responses. Good luck and hope someone chimes in with the how & why's.
aegeas

Post by aegeas »

Same here, open source or any version of Nvidia drivers result a lost splash screen, plus some black lines on browser's tabs and on terminal window. I hope I'll get an answer in reasonable time.
typoknig

Post by typoknig »

aegeas wrote:I hope I'll get an answer in reasonable time.
Apparently not :(

I also have the problem of the original splash screen missing when I install the Nvidia proprietary driver. That aside, the proprietary driver seems to have the fewest amount of quirks, though setting up three monitors with my two GTX 480's is proving problematic.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Yet I don't have this issue, either before or after installing nVidia's binary driver fron the command-line:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings-experimental-310 nvidia-experimental-310
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
typoknig

Post by typoknig »

catweazel wrote:Yet I don't have this issue, either before or after installing nVidia's binary driver fron the command-line:

Gave this a shot, but I still get the same result. Just to be clear too, the splash screen I'm talking about is the one that reads:

"Linux Mint from freedom came elegance."

I no longer see that splash screen. In its place I see large text that reads:

"Linux Mint 14"

... and under that text there are 5 dots that change color as to indicate progress like a progress bar.
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

typoknig wrote:
catweazel wrote:Yet I don't have this issue, either before or after installing nVidia's binary driver fron the command-line:

Gave this a shot, but I still get the same result. Just to be clear too, the splash screen I'm talking about is the one that reads:

"Linux Mint from freedom came elegance."

I no longer see that splash screen. In its place I see large text that reads:

"Linux Mint 14"

... and under that text there are 5 dots that change color as to indicate progress like a progress bar.
Same situation here with Linux Mint 15 and Nvidia G105M... :(
LM Cinnamon 64bit
Vantskruv

Post by Vantskruv »

Hi, I went yesterday from Linux Mint 14 64bit to Linux Mint 15 64bit using a NVIDIA GTX570M graphics board on my laptop.
For me also the ugly splash appears, but added to that it seems plymouth crashes, or nvidia drivers partially crashes. This happens randomly, and when it crashes, you may believe the whole system crashed. But if you wait a minute or so, the system will enter the graphichal login GUI. While waiting, I'm able to switch between text-output and the splash-dots-screen with the arrow-keys or any number on the numberpad....

For me the solution to get rid of the crashes is to add the line

GRUB_GFX_PAYLOAD_LINUX=text
in /etc/default/grub, remembering to update grub after changes with this command:

sudo update-grub
Though this will make boot ugly.

Anyone else have problems with Linux Mint 15 64bit and NVIDIA-drivers? Any good solutions?
Dave W.

Post by Dave W. »

Hello,

First off, I'm not sure that this will work. It is from #!, but it is worth a try. I have used it on my desktop that has a Nvidia card. I also recommend that you make a backup of your grub before trying it. Here is the link:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10839

The instructions are all in the first post. It is pretty straight forward.

Good luck and I hope it works for you! :)

Dave
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Dave W. wrote:Hello,

First off, I'm not sure that this will work. It is from #!, but it is worth a try. I have used it on my desktop that has a Nvidia card. I also recommend that you make a backup of your grub before trying it. Here is the link:

Dave
This didn't work for me. Does anyone have another solution? It's not a huge deal, but it's the aesthetics that's bothering me. Otherwise, Mint 15 Cinnamon is working well and looking beautiful.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Dave W. wrote:Hello,

Dave
I finally found a solution to this problem. Instead of following the recommendation above (which didn't work for me), this is what I did. I added the following line:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1600x1200
to my /etc/default/grub file, under the line:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
Once I ran:

sudo update-grub
and rebooted, I got my Plymouth splash screen working again.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

Ginsu543 wrote: I finally found a solution to this problem. Instead of following the recommendation above (which didn't work for me), this is what I did. I added the following line:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
Once I ran:

sudo update-grub
Setting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX and GRUB_GFXMODE to a resolution supported by my setup worked for me in Mint 15/Olivia.
astromechwarrior2013

Post by astromechwarrior2013 »

none of these worked for me, there is something else in the boot sequence after grub that is controlling the nvidia splash, and resizing it so it is way too big for the monitor...its almost twice as big and out of frame, and i would rather just get rid of that instead of see it every time, it also slows down the loading process...
adonis69

Post by adonis69 »

rockadile wrote:
Ginsu543 wrote: I finally found a solution to this problem. Instead of following the recommendation above (which didn't work for me), this is what I did. I added the following line:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
Once I ran:

sudo update-grub
Setting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX and GRUB_GFXMODE to a resolution supported by my setup worked for me in Mint 15/Olivia.

Very good !!!
Works like charm in Mint 16 Cinnamon.

I left GRUB_GFXMODE commented out and I added the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX with my specs and now the Mint icon is back, no more those big dotted letters saying Linux Mint 16.

:D :D
astromechwarrior2013

Post by astromechwarrior2013 »

i updated my system to mint 16 and it has been correct from the beginning...will see if adding the second monitor to the system will screw it up again or not...but so far so good with just the single monitor...

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”