[SOLVED] Nvidia driver causing trouble for 3 days now.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pomsler

[SOLVED] Nvidia driver causing trouble for 3 days now.

Post by pomsler »

Hay forum.

i appoligices in advance for any misspelling an or newbie questions XP

my problem is that i have a nvidia geforce GT540M in my packardbell easynote TS11
when i install the driver using a tutorial in one of the other post on this side (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=117643) it works all the way but when i try to set up my resolution it wont go any higher or lower then 640 x 480. been trying everything (i fell) for 3 days now an nothing has worked. so my question is what did i d wrong or miss to do??

thanks
Pomsler ^^
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nvidia driver causing trouble for 3 days now.

Post by raymerjacque »

an easy way of installing gfx drivers is to open menu, preferences, software sources. then go to "additional drivers tab and select your driver to install there ...
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

ive tryed that the only problem is that it dosent show up there. soo if you got a solution for that i would be very happy
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

the first time i install mint on 14 i did not read the patchnotes and i install a driver straight from ATI site, then i had endless issues with it, so when i found out where they moved the driver install to i went there to try and install propriety drivers and by me too it didnt show any. I had to reinstall and then the drivers showed up up in software source/additional drivers.

So maybe try reinstall, then go straight to meny/preferences/software sources/additional drivers ...

that is only thing i can think of, else keep struggling with manual drivers.

And btw, this is exactly why i made sure my new laptop doesnt have a nvidia card :)
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

thanks for your advice but i think i have tryed to reinstall 20 times the past 24 hours. soo dont think it will solve it but yer ill keep strugling with it.

but if anyone got any other advice ill be happy to try that out.

thanks again pomsler
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

O WAIT A MINUTE !!!

isnt your gfx card actualy a 2 in one ?

Intel HD + GT540m ?

I think that you must use a different driver for that, since your drivers are most likely picking up the intel chip and not the nvidia one. im sure i saw a post about it somewhere, ill see if i can track it down, but it was also a while ago. but try search for switchable/hybrid gfx drivers for linux and see what turns up.
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

YES YES!! thats the problem i thought it was too i would be so happy if you could sniff it out. im almost out of hair to pull out XP
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

here, read this i think this will fix you right up : http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m

not sure if it will help, but im sure at this point youll try anything, altho i think this is exactly your problem. there is quite a few discussions on hybrid switchable gfx drivers for linux. if that one doesnt work then im sure you can sniff out others to try.

here is a little read up on bumblebee : http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/bumblebe ... timus.html
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

im trying it out right now. i really hope this will work
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

This is an easy how-to for getting Bumblebee working: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

did you manage to come right with your drivers ?
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

nope havent found any solution yet even though i now know what the problem is (the nvidia an intel conflict) soo if you got anymore tricks up your sleves i would be happy to try em out.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

you tried the link albertP posted above ?
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

yup tryed all that has been suggested non has worked the bumbell bee says i cant find my nvidia card an wont run when i use optirun command.

soo im still looking for suggestions an kinda desperat.

thanks to you all for helping

Pomsler
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

Okay i got bumblebee to work now its only my resolution that sucks it still at 640x480 an wont go higher.

got any solution for that??
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Probably it does not really work because there were traces of many earlier Bumblebee (or Ironhide) installations on your system, probably older versions from the other how-to's. Also an inxi -Gx output could be useful.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Yip, its probly best to do a clean reinstall, then attempt to install bumblebee. cause right now you have tried a million things and there is traces of stuff all over the place probly conflicting.
pomsler

Post by pomsler »

aahhh that did it now i just have a new problem how to do i run games like tekkit an stuff.

i tryed the example with optirun firefox an it worked an the optirun glxspheres shows that im using the nvidia card.

but when i try saying like optirun technic-launcher (to run tekkit) it just says /usr/bin/vglrun: 303: exec: technic-launcher: not found

soo is there a file i need to edit or do i need to go to the right path or something??

i totaly dont know how to use bumblebee XP

an thanks alot for all the help i got ^w^
Pomsler
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Apparently technic-launcher is not the command you need to run Tekkit. Keep in mind that the Linux terminal is case-sensitive.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

also keep in mind that all the application launcher files for anything you install in linux is kept in the "/usr/bin" folder ( all of them ), unlike in windows where they are placed inside the program folder for each program.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”